• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limiting downtravel

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have reworked my front suspension now my coils will come out when flexing, I have a trail run tommarow and dont wanna be messing with coils, will 1/4 inch aircraft cable be strong enough to use as limiting straps? I can get 5/16 or 3/8's but not till next week (good ol small town ) . thanks!

i would think that the weak point would not be the cable, but how you mounted it. i mean, winch line comes in 5/16 and 3/8 and that's rated plenty strong depending on manufacturer and whatnot.

Yah, the 1/4" cable should work, Or you could use nylon webbing strap as a limiter, that's what drag racers use.

Why don't you "just" get the right length shocks, or modify their placement. That way you won't need to worry about drooping beyond your spring length, or snagging your limiting strap(s) on something and causing other issues.

Thanks, going with 1/4 inch, I will run nylon when I get a chance. I dont want to buy more shocks, they are about 2 inches too long (13" travel).

Besides, you don't want to be using your shocks as the limiting factor in your suspension. It'll wear them out that much faster.

Besides, you don't want to be using your shocks as the limiting factor in your suspension. It'll wear them out that much faster.
or they could just break.

I don't think that's a real issue.

As designed, the shock length limits the down travel on the suspension. They come that way from the factory.

As far as shocks suddenly breaking, that should not be an issue either.

Last edited:
I have reworked my front suspension now my coils will come out when flexing, I have a trail run tommarow and dont wanna be messing with coils, will 1/4 inch aircraft cable be strong enough to use as limiting straps? I can get 5/16 or 3/8's but not till next week (good ol small town ) . thanks!

It sounds like its time to rework your wheelwells, fenders and flares to gain 3" of up travel and lose 3" of bumpstop. Then just relocate the lower mount 3" so you can use all that travel. Once you've done that you'll be able to order the correct length nylon webbing limiting straps so you have 12.5" of total travel. It will work better when crawling and much better at speed.

Heres a few ideas for you.

Picture719.jpg

Picture718.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Picture224.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture035.jpg

As designed, the shock length limits the down travel on the suspension. They come that way from the factory.

shouldn't and isn't are too different things. i agree that it shouldn't. but the reason it is a reality is that shocks are not made to support the weight of the entire axle dropping down on it on sudden droop. the purpose of a shock is to damp suspension travel.

Pretty sure the stock suspension has other things limiting droop other then the shocks.

Look at most desert racers, and tell me they arnt running limit straps. I wonder why that could be?

You would think TT's wouldnt run something unless its actually needed. :dunno:

And I have seen shocks break because they were over extended, so that part of your argument is void as well.

Pretty sure the stock suspension has other things limiting droop other then the shocks.

Look at most desert racers, and tell me they arnt running limit straps. I wonder why that could be?

You would think TT's wouldnt run something unless its actually needed. :dunno:

And I have seen shocks break because they were over extended, so that part of your argument is void as well.

We are not talking about desert racing. The OP said he was going on a trail ride and his shocks extend further than his springs do, and he is worried 'bout dropping his springs out of their buckets.

Sure, you could put in a limiting strap, however, the way the suspension is designed, the shock is the limiter. Exery single lifted XJ I have seen is set up this way. It is not a problem because at the speeds involved, the shock does not take any sudden stopage loads, and the shocks are more than sufficient to hold up the partial weight of the axle. If this was a problem, the trails would be littered with broken Jeeps with broken shocks.

Tough Truck and JeepSpeed suspensions are designed a bit differently. They have a bit more shock travel so you don't top out those expensive shocks suddenly, and they install a limiting strap to prevent dumping the spring out of the bucket on extension. If they didn't have the limiting strap, the shock would be the limiter.

TNT, I like the job you've done, very nice.

Tough Truck and JeepSpeed suspensions are designed a bit differently. They have a bit more shock travel so you don't top out those expensive shocks suddenly, and they install a limiting strap to prevent dumping the spring out of the bucket on extension. If they didn't have the limiting strap, the shock would be the limiter.

TNT, I like the job you've done, very nice.

Just so you know those aren't pictures of my rig.

When every I see good work I save it.

I hav e a 89 MJ that I'm cutting the cab so its 8.75" longer by making it fit a 2dr XJ doors for extra room.

I have my wheelwells cut so they end at the bottom of the front edge of the front door. I'm relocating my turn signals because I removed the upper spring mount, hump in the wheelwell for the air box/battery and tapered it so it ends at the bottom of the headlight. 37" tires can hit the very top of the wheelwell and still steer lock to lock with room to spare. The 37's stuff further then any 33" tire could ever go in a stock wheelwell. My left foot did loose 4" of space since the floor is moved that far back.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of how much room is gained. I still had to finish the wheelwell and cut the header below the headlight in this picture.

Picture001.jpg

When the budget permits a long arm 4 link will attach to the full width HP D44 with some King coilovers.

I've been off work since January and in a back brace from surgury so I can't do $hit.

Exery single lifted XJ I have seen is set up this way. It is not a problem because at the speeds involved, the shock does not take any sudden stopage loads, and the shocks are more than sufficient to hold up the partial weight of the axle. If this was a problem, the trails would be littered with broken Jeeps with broken shocks.Thats BS mine's not that way. most I've seen aren't.

If they didn't have the limiting strap, the shock would be the limiter.That's the whole damn point
I've seen a guy pop the top of his shock off from trying to limit his travel with the shock.
Just some advise if yours is that way fix it ASAP

Back