• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Linkage for DD with 4-5" lift

Moo Moo Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I read 2 similar treads but mine is little bit different. I need to replace the whole steering linkage: drag link, tie rod and all tre's. I have 2001 XJ with about 4" (RE 3.5" coil springs) possible 5" in the future. It has 31" tires but I'll put 33" soon. I might go with 34's maybe even 35's in the future but definitely not larger. It's my DD with occasional off-road trip so I don't need anything bomb proof. I'm on the budget originally $200 but I'd go up to $250.

I eliminated Rusty's, Crown HD kit and Rugged Ridge because of the crappy reviews. I read that IRO HD tie rod is too short so I won't mess with it either. Currie, Terraflex, JCR and ORO U-Turn systems are out because of the price so please try to sell me on them. I know they are good but out of my budget and really overkill for my needs.

I'm down to following options but I'm open to others around $200-250:
1. RuffStuff "Y" Link w. 1 ton tre's for $240.
2. Jeepers-Crepperz HD Crossover Steering Conversion on eBay for $230
Moog drag link stock replacement parts with:
3. Moog V-8 ZJ tie rod.
4. IronMan4x4Fab Solid Steel Tie Rod w. Moog tre.
5. Rough Country HD Tie Rod w. Moog tre.

Anybody has above steering systems installed or something similar for $250 or less? Please let me know what's your experience with it.

Last edited:
I had the IM4x4fab solid trackbar on my XJ. Currently on my MJ with zero issues.
It cured my MJ death wobble.
For the price I think it is a solid piece. Stinkyfab also makes a boltin replacement tie rod.
I may have a used currie steering setup available.

I run a IRO zero issues and its not too short. Id run a ZJ tie rod and be done with what your budget is. No need to run a OTK or 1 ton tres on a rig that sees more pavement than dirt.

I'm running a home brew set up. The stock drag link from the steering box to the right knuckle but I do have a Rusty's sleeve adjuster. From the drag link to the left knuckle is a rough county tie rod sleeve tube but I cut of the left side adjuster and running a Teraflex offset tie rod that I flipped on top of the knuckle. No I did have to cut the sway bar link. It works pretty good. But on side note I do have all the pieces to do a t style under knuckle steering when the time come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 4.5 inches of lift, stock steering is adequate, especially if you will only be running mild trails. Not ideal by any means, but not useless either. My 2000 is at 5.5 inches of lift and the stock steering has been to Moab several times.

The "best" steering option is either ORO U-Turn, or the WJ knuckle swap.

1 more question. If I use V-8 ZJ tie rod (or any other hd tie rod) should I use V-8 ZJ drag link too? Is there any advantage to ZJ drag link? Is it beefier/stronger that XJ drag link?

No difference in the drag link, stock xj link is fine.

currie.

cheaping out on your steering is foolish.

I "Had" a similar set-up.Lift /tires,limited off road use ect. Stayed with stock or ZJ steering set up.In Virginia,we have yearly safety inspections......every year tie rod ends would fail inspection.....cost was about $200 to put everything back including an alignment.
Switched to a Currie set-up in 2009......have not replaced anything since,right now have close to 150,000 miles on the steering.

I ran the ORO setup for years on my LJ with a RE trackbar. That thing is set up like a tank. I was running 35's, lockers and abused the crap out of it. never had an issue till I wallowed out the axle mount for the trackbar. The main tie rod is SOLID 1.25" chromoly. I dd'd that rig during the week and would run blacks and reds at Rousch Creek on the weekends. IMHO it is totally worth the money he is asking for the kit. Reasonably easy install as well. I did mine in a field in Salida CO at All4Fun after wrecking my second currie setup.

I decided to go with Moog drag link an all tre's plus RC tie rod. I just need to confirm Moog part numbers. Please let me know if these are correct:
1. Moog Problem Solver Tie Rod End DS1238
2. Moog Replacement Tie Rod End ES3094
3. Moog Replacement Tie Rod End ES3095R
4. Moog Replacement Tie Rod End ES3096L
5. Moog Tie Rod Sleeve ES2079S

My friend, mechanic check my steering and I might not need all tre after all. I'm trying to figure out which tre is witch. RockAuto and SummitRacing websites don't specify which one attaches to the knuckle and which one to pitman arm. And Summit Racing guy was useless. I'm assuming ES3094L attaches to the pitman arm and ES3096L to the drivers knuckle. Please let me know if this is correct.

Trying to remember, but when I tjink when did mine I bought 2 of the ES3096L. On for the tie rod and other for pitman. Pretty sure the only difference is where the zerk is.

Back