• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical connector ID question

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
I working on cleaning up the lift gate on my 96. The previous owner cobbled speakers in by piggybacking off of the sound bar speakers. When I bought the jeep the trim piece and the third brake light were missing. Ive got these two connectors that hang down. I assume one is the third brake light, but I have no idea what the other one is for. Maybe for the keyless entry solenoid? I'm picking up a replacement trim panel Memorial Day weekend, and I'm going to make my own third brake light from an LED emergency light set to steady burn. Hoping it gets the attention of all the people behind me that have their attention buried in a text message. :explosion

One may be the rear window de-fogger!

Possibly lock actuator? License plate lights?

Don't know what else is left.

Check for power and see when it gets 12V.

I think I figured it out. I looked in the FSM for wire colors. The small plug is for the third brake light, for sure. The large plug is most likely for the "Liftgate Lock Motor." I say "most likely" because only one of the wire colors matches whats listed in the book. Pink with a black tracer. The other wire is supposed to be Orange with a black tracer, but it's not. It's black with a white tracer.

Does anyone know if they used a universal harness? Mine is an SE model with no power anything, but I'm wondering if the circuits are there and I just need to get the actuators and a switch to convert to power locks.

My 95 FSM shows PK/BK (Pink w/black tracer) and BK/WT (Black w/ white tracer). I can see the BK/WT in your photo.

You would need switches with their housings, actuators, actuator rods and relays. Can't say if all of the connectors are in place.

I know there's a sub-harness that goes into each door to connect to the power windows, locks and mirrors (front door). Yours may not have any of them.

No it's not that, The defroster is all hooked up and functioning, well kinda, the top 5 stripes don't work. I'm not going to be replacing the glass anytime soon so I gotta live with it I guess.
FWIW:
You probably have a/some gaps/breaks in the defroster element on the glass. There are repair kits available for repairing them. It's pretty simple stuff that is just brushed on.

I haven't tried it, I just know that its available.

FWIW:
You probably have a/some gaps/breaks in the defroster element on the glass. There are repair kits available for repairing them. It's pretty simple stuff that is just brushed on.

I haven't tried it, I just know that its available.

I've see that stuff before. I just always assumed it was snake oil haha. I took a look at some amazon reviews and people seem to have had good results. For $15 I'll take a chance. when I get around to doing it I'll post up results. I have to remove the really old tint thats on the glass first. I'm not highly motivated to dig into that project :rolleyes:

My 95 FSM shows PK/BK (Pink w/black tracer) and BK/WT (Black w/ white tracer). I can see the BK/WT in your photo.

You would need switches with their housings, actuators, actuator rods and relays. Can't say if all of the connectors are in place.

I know there's a sub-harness that goes into each door to connect to the power windows, locks and mirrors (front door). Yours may not have any of them.

Thanks! I'll be doing some under the dash stuff in the not too distant future so I'll take a close look for whats there and whats not. Boy that would be a sweet upgrade!:cheers:

You would also need to get door panels as they are different. I also have an SE and was thinking of looking to see if the connectors are in the footwells. not sure if they would be connected to the fuse block though. Like in the PDC they didn't just leave the fuse out when not equipped with fog lights, there's actually nothing there for wiring. But certain accessories may be different I guess.

Back