• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's the go-to exhaust manifold these days

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My 9-yr-old Thorley header cracked and they are talking like they will not honor the warranty. Looking to get something quick that won't break immediately. I remember people used to be happy with APN, still a good buy? Dorman is new since I looked, is it any good? Is that ebay special still a good deal?

The Dorman / brand x one with the flex pieces are decent. Last I checked 1aauto had the best price.

I've been running a manifold with the flex piping for ten years, not that the jeep it's in hits more than a few puddles on the street.

When I changed it I remember the talk being the oem design was faulty and would always crack at some point , the flex pieces were to eliminate that weakness. Not sure if that reasoning is current with what we know now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put the doorman one on my 96. I only have about 100 miles on it so I can't speak to it's longevity, but the fit was nice and the flange thickness was within .010" of the original. I did have to clean up some booger welds inside the ports where they attached the flange to the tubes. For the price, not a big deal.

My apn is cracked around the collector, but it's like 8 years old and I blame crappy exhaust and some bad motor mounts at the time. I added a flex joint to the new exhaust, and when the motor gets pulled out this winter I will probably replace with another apn.

I've had a Dorman in my 96 for a few year now, so far all is good.

Anyone have an opinion on the header from Banks?

I just bought their Revolver header and am really impressed with it's construction. Having heavy wall SS pipes and a 1/2" mounting flange with great welding.

My 9-yr-old Thorley header cracked and they are talking like they will not honor the warranty.
Thorley is fun to work with like that. Not one of the better companies. Did they charge you an "upgrade" fee?

Thorley is fun to work with like that. Not one of the better companies. Did they charge you an "upgrade" fee?
No only had to pay shipping to them. They said rust was normal and not covered but after I said I bought the T304 stainless and sent pics, they said welder had used the wrong wire. Pretty obvious that the weld rusted through and the header tubes were still in good shape. FWIW I have not received the replacement yet but should be here Tuesday.

Back