• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some ?'s answered..I'm new..

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
So...I've never been mechanically inclined but have been able to successfully instal my stereo,sub/amp, and driving lights...I'm still new to the whole mechanical scene of things and wheelin'. I've had my Chief for about 1 1/2 months now... and love it now that there is a new water pump/thermostat and coolant bottle... no more leakage, yay!

What my Chief came with..It's a 87'
4.0 I6
150,XXX miles
4.5" RC Lift ( I know it sucks..)
Near flawless interior
Big basket on top (home-made)
31" Tires and some wheels I have no clue what they are..

Jeep.jpg

Ext. is in really good condition too... could use a paint job in the near future. The cracked front right headlight housing is now replaced. So my questions are..

I see stuff about people using leaf packs from s10's and what not... what's the advantage there? To me it doesn't seem like my Jeep is sitting like it should? I could be wrong.

Also, my automatic shifter seems to be loose? Like when I put it in drive I can still move it 1/2" up or down without it changing gears...How can I fix that?

And yet another...would these lights be ok for my roof? 4 of em..I don't do any hard core wheeling and I just need em to help for wheelin' at night and something that looks good and is practical $$ wise... Here they are

http://www.cardomain.com/item/HELH71020021?utm_source=froogle.com&utm_medium=product_feed

Your input is definately appreciated =)
Posting here because my posts on the main pages always get overlooked... hoping to get more input here...

P.S. Don't think there are enough of you from WA here

--Brian

About your suspension.....I didn't think the RC coils I had were all that bad. A little stiff maybe, but they worked OK. But it looks like your rear spring is really flat. Do you have lift blocks in the back? If you are running blocks in the rear, get rid of them. That's probably what dearched your springs (from axle wrap) and now the rear sits lower. Also looks like stock shackles in the rear. You can pick up a small amount of lift by using longer shackles, and at the same time increase flex. I don't know much about mixing leaves to make your own packs. If that sounds like something you want to try, theres plenty of info in the tech sections you can search up about that. You might just purchase some good quality leaves from RE.

Megawatt said:
About your suspension.....I didn't think the RC coils I had were all that bad. A little stiff maybe, but they worked OK. But it looks like your rear spring is really flat. Do you have lift blocks in the back? If you are running blocks in the rear, get rid of them. That's probably what dearched your springs (from axle wrap) and now the rear sits lower. Also looks like stock shackles in the rear. You can pick up a small amount of lift by using longer shackles, and at the same time increase flex. I don't know much about mixing leaves to make your own packs. If that sounds like something you want to try, theres plenty of info in the tech sections you can search up about that. You might just purchase some good quality leaves from RE.

I agree with new shackles. They're going to be the cheapest and easiest way. And they really do give you more flex.

dont mount those lights on the roof inverted unless you seal the metal wire loom first. the lights fill up with water. you can probably find an off brand light that looks identical for around 10 bucks online.

Suspension.
I am going to assume that the lift was put on before you got the jeep and you probably have no idea how long it has been on there or how many miles? If this is the case I agree with what was said before "they look flat and look like stock shackles". If you go with longer shackles it will just put more stress on the already flat (stressed main leaf). There are LOTS of ways of fixing it and the way you do it will very much depend on how much time/money you want to spend and what you want as the outcome. Cheapest way would be to pick up a old set of stock leafs and use the original main leaf (longest one) cut off the ends and put it below your main main leaf to help support it. It doesn't look to me like you need much more lift and this should do it. If they are too stiff and you need the lift, I would recommend doing as I described above and removing 1 or two of the thicker leaves in other areas of the pack and possibly replacing them with the thiner stock leaves of similar length (to keep the support consistent through the pack. Nothing wrong with adding a longer shackle but I would doubt that it will too much for you for adding flex with such a flat stressed pack. It will help you destroy the leaves quicker though. Sorry this is long, but send some close ups of the packs and we can all make better solutions based on what we see from the pics instead of guessing.

Lights.
I cant see the link at all. what is important about lights up high is the pattern that they shine, I would use a pencil beam in the middle two and euro beam on the outer two. Personally I have found that cheap lights work ok, but if you plan on useing them alot I would spend the money for a Hella, ProComp, add your favorite brand here.

Trans.
Sorry, I can't help you, I have not had any issues with mine. Usually there are bushings that can be replaced in linkages and such, but I have never heard of them being an issue on these jeeps.

Welcome to the group.
Yes, this should go in tech area.

Michael

Go out and wheel. That has taught me what I need. Don't spend the money on lights until you know they would help. I have the lights still sitting in the garage because of other parts that were deamed priority over them. I would also go for the shackle (wait a second, I am), unless you have the mechanical know-how to follow Michael's directions. Maybe keep an eye open for a 3-4.5" full leaf pack for sale in your area.

I won't put money into paint, unless it really gets under my skin.

Welcome to the NW

Jason

Dvipercop said:
Is that sarcasm? We have to damn many people from WA on here... ;)

hey...Im from washington yet I terrorize the oregon streets every day!

On the shackle note....I wouldn't put them in until your ready to do your rear springs...yeah you'll get lift...but not much. And you'll still have to address the rear leaf issue. I hate doing things twice...REALLY hate it.

Other than that...not a bad ride. Welcome to the end of the line, or the beginning depending on your outlook.

Wait till the rest of the Wa contingency comes out...hold on tight!

Red
NWC VP

Thanks for the advice guys. I know this probably should have gone in the Tech forums but honestly...anytime I post there it's overlooked and don't get nearly the feed back I've gotten here. I'm glad to be in the NW:farmer: I was born and raised in OR though but have lived in ID for 11 years now.. And yes it was sarcasm that there weren't enough from WA on here... If only some of you mofos lived in ID. I've seen like 1 other person from ID on here.

Anywho.. does anyone know if there is an online source to look for 4x4 trails? I don't know many places around Boise to hit up...so.. y'know..

"NachoooOooOOoOoooooOooO..."

--Brian

Sooo.......did you look to see if you have blocks in the back? And I agree with Mr. 2Xtreme, you shouldn't add a longer shackle until you fix your leaf pack. Other than that, looks like a good Jeep. Did it come with a Dana 44 in the rear?

Idaho trails? I have some relatives that live up north around Sand Point, beautiful country by the way, but don't know anything about trails out your way.

I haven't looked to see if there are blocks in the back. Didn't have time yesterday... by the time I got home and took a shower it was already getting dark and I was going to a Halloween party anyways... as far as the Dana 44... I have no clue. I'm compeletly new to all this. All I know is that it hasn't been swapped out... so whatever the 1987 Cherokee Chief 4.0 I6 comes with... that's what it still has. If you can post a pic or tell me what to look for to tell, I can tell ya =)

I'll fix the leaf pack before the shackles. Thanks for the advice!

Think i'm gonna head up towards the Mts. this weekend with my g/f to see if we can't find some nice scenic trails.

--Brian

If you shoot some pic's of the rear diff (from the back) and some good photos of the rear spring packs (includeing hanger and mount to axles) I would be more than happy to help you decide what leaves to remove, install to help with your issues.

However, you still haven't said what the issues are?
Does it ride too stiff, too soft?
Do you think it is sagging and want it higher?

Best pic would be with the tire/wheel off of the jeep and with them on and full weight on the wheels.

Michael

2extreme... The ride is fine. It just looks a little sagged in the bag. I'll get some pics this weekend. Haven't been able to during the week because by the time I get home from work it's already getting dark... and it's only 5 :tear:
Also...I know this ? should be in the *Wanted* forum but just wanted to check... anyone got a roof rack/basket for sale?

--Brian

all I can say is don't get the Zacatal rack off EBay. It's 100% electrical conduit. Seems strong enough but what a crappy product for $250. LOL If you want one I know a guy....:dunce:

Bdiddy11 said:
2extreme... The ride is fine. It just looks a little sagged in the bag. I'll get some pics this weekend. Haven't been able to during the week because by the time I get home from work it's already getting dark... and it's only 5 :tear:
Also...I know this ? should be in the *Wanted* forum but just wanted to check... anyone got a roof rack/basket for sale?

--Brian

If your looking for a rack, I would suggest a top hat RR. They seem to be very sturdy. A few NWC members run them, and not compliants so far. I will probably get one, if I go that route.

Back