• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ Renix Coolant Temp Sensor Rplmnt

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Changing out the radiator in my 88XJ. The Renix coolant temp sensor "looks" to be more accessible and Im wondering if I should change it .

My XJ has 276,300 miles on it and I have religiously done the maintenance on it. I hve changed coolant after cleaning the cooling system every 30k miles. How hard are these sensors to remove as mine has never been out.

Thoughts? Im also tempted to change out my air temp sensor.

What pressure radiator cap are you all using? Ive got the "late" model system installed.

So, lets talk a little bit.

You are talking about the CTS, coolant temperature sensor for the ECU--the one under the manifolds, or the temperature gauge sender on the rear of the head, or the efan switch that would have been in the radiator on the closed system, if you have an efan?

I believe the standard cap for the open system is 12 ~ 16 lbs, with the release psi usually engraved in the cap--seems to me rockauto.com lists them as marked 13 psi.

I would just test the sensors/senders and only replace them if marginal or out of spec.

I thought there were 3? temp sensors:
Rear of head is dash temperature gauge?
Under manifolds into side of block is Coolant Temp. Sensor for ECU?
Front of head by thermostat is for?

Would anyone have part numbers for these three? I am rebuilding engine (88 Renix, 4.0, auto) and would like to replace.

I thought there were 3? temp sensors:
Rear of head is dash temperature gauge?
Under manifolds into side of block is Coolant Temp. Sensor for ECU?
Front of head by thermostat is for?

Would anyone have part numbers for these three? I am rebuilding engine (88 Renix, 4.0, auto) and would like to replace.

For renix system, there is the single wire lead that goes to the sender/switch in the rear of the head for gauge.
And the CTS, under manifolds for ECU.
HO has one in the T-state housing.

Changing out the radiator in my 88XJ. The Renix coolant temp sensor "looks" to be more accessible and Im wondering if I should change it .

My XJ has 276,300 miles on it and I have religiously done the maintenance on it. I hve changed coolant after cleaning the cooling system every 30k miles. How hard are these sensors to remove as mine has never been out.

Thoughts? Im also tempted to change out my air temp sensor.

What pressure radiator cap are you all using? Ive got the "late" model system installed.
When I pulled the CTS from my 88 MJ's block to put it in the newer Thermo housing during a pseudo-HO swap ... It came out easily enough.
Same for the IAT when I placed it into the inlet air tube after the same conversion.
The wiring for the CTS is plenty ling enough to move to the thermo housing once deformed. I ended up removing nearly 6" out of the leads afterwards.

Back