• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY 44 SWAP

TJWAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I started my project last weekend, this is 92 xj, it already had a six in. rubi lift, long arm kit,etc. I am swapping in a Dana44 from a 77-78 ford f100. I thought and searched hard for ideas on how to do this, I concluded it would be really easy to reuse and modify the origanal mounts lifting it another 2 in. I am considering just using one of the upper arms and using it as a three link. any thoughts on that? I set my pinion angle at 6 degrees, I saw this mornig that it probably should be about ten :flamemad: Now I guess I need to cut it out and move it another 5 degrees. As soon as I get it rolling I am starting on the rear d60, I wonder if it should be ten degrees also? Why the hell can't I post attatchments?

TJWAXJ said:
So I started my project last weekend, this is 92 xj, it already had a six in. rubi lift, long arm kit,etc. I am swapping in a Dana44 from a 77-78 ford f100. I thought and searched hard for ideas on how to do this, I concluded it would be really easy to reuse and modify the origanal mounts lifting it another 2 in. I am considering just using one of the upper arms and using it as a three link. any thoughts on that? I set my pinion angle at 6 degrees, I saw this mornig that it probably should be about ten :flamemad: Now I guess I need to cut it out and move it another 5 degrees. As soon as I get it rolling I am starting on the rear d60, I wonder if it should be ten degrees also? Why the hell can't I post attatchments?
on the front axle, you cant just rotate the pinion up or down as you want. you must keep the correct caster angle by cutting and turning the knuckles and C's to keep the correct angle if you want to rotate the pinion up

on the rear, its easiest to just rotate the pinion where ya want it, then burn your leaf perches on

get some pics hosted on supermotors.org or photobucket.com

TJWAXJ said:
I wonder if it should be ten degrees also?

tech kid said:
on the rear, its easiest to just rotate the pinion where ya want it, then burn your leaf perches on

There is more to setting pinion angle in the rear than just "setting where you want it". You need to consider the type of driveshaft you are using. I would imagine that you are using a CV driveshaft... In this case, your pinion angle should be set in such a manner that your pinion is pointing at the TCase output flange. You should read this: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

-jm

HTeK said:
There is more to setting pinion angle in the rear than just "setting where you want it". You need to consider the type of driveshaft you are using. I would imagine that you are using a CV driveshaft... In this case, your pinion angle should be set in such a manner that your pinion is pointing at the TCase output flange. You should read this: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

-jm

well wouldnt that be "where you want it" ;)

ya, the only difference is when you are running just two ujoints and no CV, but IIRC the stock shaft has a CV and tahts what i thought he was runnin

wes

Back