• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use OME LIGHT DUTY leafs?

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
Been doing some research, and I think these are the springs I want. I'm looking to get 3"-3.5" of lift in combo w/shackle brackets and longer shackle.

Anyone use these, and can share their experience?

Thanks

Umm... ok, anyone use the OME HD leafs?

Neither, i have medium duty leaves with an extra leaf. Love them! I should be around 3.5-4" of lift when i install my shackle brackets.

With MD or HD you are looking around 3-3.5" alone until they settle.

The OME HD springs give me a harsher ride over speed bump type asphalt repairs, and cordoroy surfaces, etc. However, they are great for hauling cargo weight, and/or small trailering. I figured I did not want to replace OEM with OEM replacement types, so upgraded to a more sturdy leaf pack, (rather than those of a Cadillac ride quality), and also went all the way around with OME shocks, and OME front coils for additional ARB bumper/W-M8000 winch.

However, I am not looking for great lift/height, but rather a good solid stance of 2" with the addition of 30"-ers, JKS discos, rear sway tossed out.

Guess the bottom line, (other than money), is what you want your XJ to accomplish as per the terrain you want to take it. Mine is set up for highway DD, bad rutted roads, and muddy one lane trails. :attom:

been running OME HD springs (front/rear) since 04ish - they've obviously settled some, but still perform well and don't sag. the ride was a huge improvement in my opinion, less harsh than the factory "up-country" springs i was running. i do some mild/moderate off-roading and really like the performance, both on/off the street. if these ever need replacing i will replace with the same.

thanks for the response guys..

from info gathered on the search, the HD leaves are softer (137lbs/") until you hit the overload (257lbs/"), so they should ride better than the LD (148lbs/"), and be able to haul more weight. However, i like to go rock crawling, so i'm not sure if the overload would hinder flex.

i spoke to ARB, and the guy told me they would both net around the same lift, 2.5"+, but the light duty will be a bit stiffer empty. he also said the HD's overload is somewhat straight and there's a possibility of getting hung up on something.

i really only have my 60lb spare in back, and when i go camping, mite carry 150-200 lbs. tow a trailer twice a year..

thanks for the response guys..

from info gathered on the search, the HD leaves are softer (137lbs/") until you hit the overload (257lbs/"), so they should ride better than the LD (148lbs/"), and be able to haul more weight. However, i like to go rock crawling, so i'm not sure if the overload would hinder flex.

i spoke to ARB, and the guy told me they would both net around the same lift, 2.5"+, but the light duty will be a bit stiffer empty. he also said the HD's overload is somewhat straight and there's a possibility of getting hung up on something.

i really only have my 60lb spare in back, and when i go camping, mite carry 150-200 lbs. tow a trailer twice a year..

I installed OME HD+overload + and OME AAL wanting 4.5lift...ended with 5.5lift and a very very stiff ride..excesive.... so I removed the AAL and installed a longer than stock shackle still limited flex but nicer ride...I go crawling once in a while and no issues with the overload so far....I'm considering on installing a shackle relocation bracket to improve the shackle angle...its is vertical..

awesome info man, thanks!

i already have the shackle relos, and i have a .75" lift shackle only to avoid hitting the shackle box w/the stock shackle. if the overload doesnt really keep the tire from flexing close to the body, than that may be what i want.

would be nice to have a slightly softer ride empty, than the LD leafs.

wanted to update.. i ordered the ome ld leafs, and installed them last week. they ride freakin awesome! i ended up getting about 2.25" of lift. my only concern is that they are sitting flat already. will have to see how they hold up in the next month..

I had a set of them, installed them, crossed the rubicon, and they were done... at least they replaced them under warranty, no questions asked. not even a proof of purchase which shocked me, it did take 12 weeks but i got the replacements and sold them. I installed some BDS springs so i did not need them...

well, a little over a year (and 3000 miles later), my OME LDs are dead. The springs are flat, and the main leaf is actually starting to bend backwards. I contacted ARB, waiting to see what they can do. My rear has sagged about .5" from new. Not a huge deal, but I don't like that leaf bending backwards.

OMEleaf_zps0cdac837.jpg

I also have the hd dual rate leafs and netted around 3.5". Ride is a bit rough but I don't mind it. My shackle is completely vertical so once I get the shackle replicators and new shackles it should hopefully be smoother and more flex. I carry around 200 lbs in the trunk and haven't noticed any sag in the 2 years they have been installed.

well, a little over a year (and 3000 miles later), my OME LDs are dead. The springs are flat, and the main leaf is actually starting to bend backwards. I contacted ARB, waiting to see what they can do. My rear has sagged about .5" from new. Not a huge deal, but I don't like that leaf bending backwards.

OMEleaf_zps0cdac837.jpg

That's what happened to my OME packs. Except, I think I got almost 2 years out of mine.

If you look at the way the pack is assembled it becomes apparent that a main leaf failure is inevitable. The secondary leaf just isn't long enough. There's too much leverage on the rear of the leaf, and once the main fatigues it's all over.

I went with RE 3.5 leafs for replacements. Believe it or not, they seem to be a much higher quality spring.

I did OME HD about four years ago. Gave me four inches over my reverse arched springs. They have settled to about three inches over stock. I carry three to five hundred pounds on any given day ( work vehicle) still very happy with them. Never get hung up on the overload while wheeling and I push it to its limits. If I need springs again I'll buy the same. My only regret is not getting OME shocks. I got Skyjacker's ( blah).

I did the OME Dakar HD 3.5" leafs (CS033RB) and I carry 500lbs of junk on the average day. Awesome. I have noticed more road noise over stock, but overall the ride quality is superb. the OME shocks are also awesome. For the front I got the OME2934 w/ 1.75" of isolators. It rides and handles better than my girlfriends rough country 4.5" no questions.

I'll add my findings to this thread. I got the OME Medium leafs about a year ago. I verified that they were indeed the MD leafs.

They gave me around 4" of lift right off the bat, and after riding around with a lot of weight in the back they have settled to just over 3" of lift in the back over stock specs.

I have Bilstein shocks all the way around so I can't exactly comment on the ride of the OME leafs, but overall the ride is rather firm.

I've had OME LD leafs for about 5 years. They have been holding strong. The passenger rear is sagging a bit so I'm going to rotate to the drivers side. I don't wheel that much but I tow quite frequently, and haul heavy stuff in the back routinely.

I have the OME leafs that came with their 2" lift kit - don't know if those are LD, MD, or HD. They rode a bit stiffer than the totally worn out stock leafs that were on there. Have had them on since 2008, and they look like the picture djlarroc posted - totally flat, no arch to them. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have paid the premium for OME, and would have went with something less expensive.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=49693

Back