• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone installed a fuel cell that pumps into stock tank?

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed an auxilary fuel cell, maybe behind the rear seats. It could be nice because you could plumb it to pump into the stock tank and get extra range.:cool:

there are also a lot of laws/rules to follow in that case....so be careful.

I say this cuz when I put an aux tank in the bed of my dually, had it been for gas, it would have been illegal..but it was diesel.

And since you want to put it in the people space, it will be even more restrictive.

Why not just get a larger fuel tank ??

Yeah, good point.

Larger tank would be better, but it's only about 10 gallons more and much more expensive than a fuel cell type thing.

there are also a lot of laws/rules to follow in that case....so be careful.

I say this cuz when I put an aux tank in the bed of my dually, had it been for gas, it would have been illegal..but it was diesel.

And since you want to put it in the people space, it will be even more restrictive.

Why not just get a larger fuel tank ??

Same here, did an aux tank on my diesel plumbed into the main tank with an electric pump to fill at will.

Would NOT do it on an xj, or ever in passenger compartment.

They do make 30+ gal fuel tanks for xj's. Sunset Fab and Genright just to name a few.

Larger tank would be better, but it's only about 10 gallons more and much more expensive than a fuel cell type thing.

I believe he is aware. Also pretty sure those are the ONLY companies who offer larger tanks for the XJ. The Genright only being for 97+ and Sunset being of questionable build quality.

Wouldn't pass smog in CA. You would fail visual and manual EVAP test. You can modify the Dorman one to hold 27 gallons. Part number: 576-656 currently on Amazon for $90 free shipping. Coupled with a 5 gallon Jerry can your at 32 gallons.

Wouldn't pass smog in CA. You would fail visual and manual EVAP test. You can modify the Dorman one to hold 27 gallons. Part number: 576-656 currently on Amazon for $90 free shipping. Coupled with a 5 gallon Jerry can your at 32 gallons.

But the OP has a '99 !

I believe he is aware. Also pretty sure those are the ONLY companies who offer larger tanks for the XJ. The Genright only being for 97+ and Sunset being of questionable build quality.

There are more than just those 2. Not only in the states but in Aus also
It sounds like the op is determined to carry fuel in the passenger compartment so it doesnt matter how many manufacutlrers there are.

Areo, Titan not sure if they still do and there is another whos name begins with an M. Searching the internet on my phone isnt working for me today and all I remeber is that it started with an M.
I wouldn't hesitate on pulling the trigger on an Aero. I have never been dissapointed with their products.

Back