NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

Unhappy 98 Cherokee starting to TICK TICK TICK...What is wrong?

Hello everyone I was hoping you could help me out-

I have a 98 Cherokee Sport with about 100K on it. I started my car up a couple days ago and the engine sounded differently within the cabin, when I lifted up the hood to examine where this new noise was coming from I heard this faint ticking coming from the engine bay, I could not pinpoint the noise exactly but it seems to be coming from behind the fuel line.

I drove to NY and back and checked the engine again, and the ticking is definitely louder. I am positive it wasn;t there before. Under acceleration/deceleration, there seems to be this "airy" sound coming from the engine. Now I don't abuse this Cherokee (unlike my 96) so, now as a college student who is on a budget, can anyone give me some reasonable advice to fix this problem? I really need to figure it out because it is annoying the crap out of me. Should I get some fuel injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner to maybe stop the ticking? I changed my oil and that did improve the situation at all so I am wondering if this is a "deeper" (aka. expensive) issue.

Help anyone please

Sad Jeep owner that wants to make his XJ happy again --> Joey

PS. I have not personally felt any loss in performance, everything seems ok except for the noise that is now quite obvious.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 19:57
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 98 Cherokee starting to TICK TICK TICK...What is wrong?

perhaps a crack in the exhaust manifold? supposedly these 4.0s are famous for that...
Old December 2nd, 2004, 20:19
NAXJA Forum User

Exclamation Re: 98 Cherokee starting to TICK TICK TICK...What is wrong?

Is there a simple way to check if it is the header/exhaust manifold that is making this noise?

I was reading up on some of the forums and there was some talk of lifters/valves. I am not all mechanical so can someone explain to me quickly what that means and how I can check if my lifters/valves are screwed up. Is there a magic engine fluid I can buy that can fix these things?

Joey
Old December 2nd, 2004, 20:32
NAXJA Forum User

Just start off easy and examine the header at the point were both header pipes connect into one before going in to the exhaust pipe.. Then just look at all areas were it is welded for cracks.. if that is good then fo on to further trouble shooting the valve and lifters.. Just wondering is your oil low?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 20:45
NAXJA Forum User

did you make any one really mad? could be a time bomb
Old December 2nd, 2004, 20:48
NAXJA Forum User

pick up a mechanics stephescope (sp?) or cut a 1/2" piece of flexible tube, hold one end up to your ear and move the other end all over the engine bay (especially around the headers...while its running of course) 'til you pinpoint the ticking- then you have your answer
-report your findings
Old December 2nd, 2004, 20:55
NAXJA Forum User

could also use a long screwdriver put the end to what you want to hear and the other end to your ear
Old December 2nd, 2004, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

tick tick tick? sounds like a bomb to me, wait dont they vibrate now
Old December 2nd, 2004, 21:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey99jb
Is there a magic engine fluid I can buy that can fix these things?
It's called Marvel Mystery Oil (really) Just change your oil, but substitute one quart of oil for a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. You can get it at any auto parts store. Look for a red bottle or ask for it by name. It will clean out the varnish, etc. and quiet down your sticky valves. It doesn't work immediately, so you may have to drive it hard for a 100 miles but it will clear things up assuming it's just a sticky lifter and not (A) serious valve problems or (B) an exhaust leak. These engines are famous for exhaust leaks though.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 22:35
NAXJA Member

I'll echo the Marvels Mystery Oil suggestion. I have an '89 XJ with over 240,000 miles on the original engine. I use Marvels at every oil change now since I started noticing lifter noise about 100,000 miles ago. So far, so good.

By the way...what's the record for original miles on a 4.0L? I'm trying to set a new record before doing a rebuild. LOL
Old December 2nd, 2004, 22:54
NAXJA Forum User

afraid your not even close on the mileage http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=miles
take a look at page 3
Old December 5th, 2004, 12:22
NAXJA Forum User

Talking Re: 98 Cherokee starting to TICK TICK TICK...What is wrong?

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I plan on getting my oil changed and see if that helps at all, I will purchase the Marvel stuff today too and throw that in, hopefully all will be well and my Jeep will be happy again (phew).
Old December 7th, 2004, 00:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey99jb
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I plan on getting my oil changed and see if that helps at all, I will purchase the Marvel stuff today too and throw that in, hopefully all will be well and my Jeep will be happy again (phew).
joey99jb, keep us updated on how things work out with the Marvel mystery oil. I've got the same TICKing happening on my 99. I was thinking that it was either a crack in the manifold weld or sticky lifters. Hoping that it's the latter.
Another thread here on suggests that it also could be the cap/rotor.
Let us know how things go.

Thanks,
Chalrz
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:31
NAXJA Forum User

The Marvel Magic Mystery Oil did not help in resolving the engine ticking issue, so I guess I can narrow it down to my header or (hopefully not) a sticky valve/lifter problem. I do not know but once I figure something else out I will let all of you know.
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:00
NAXJA Forum User

keep us posted, good luck