• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Up Country trans cooler line routing

bbolander

NAXJA Forum User
My FSM shows the transmission out line going to the upper radiator cooler inlet, from the bottom radiator cooler outlet to the aux cooler and from the aux cooler to the transmission return line (AW4 trans).

Even tho I showed the diagram to the dealer and his parts computer has the same diagram, they insist that the transmission out line goes to the aux cooler first, then to the upper radiator cooler inlet and from the bottom radiator cooler outlet to the transmission return line.

I want the OEM arrangement. Can anyone tell me how it came from the factory.

I wanted to know the same thing when I was installing my OEM cooler. Originally from the factory the trany cooler went after the radiator. It came out the radiator to the cooler then back to the trans. Just like the diagram. But when I ordered the pipe from the dealer that goes from the radiator to the cooler it was to short. (FSM # 12 in diagram) About 8 inches long? To me there was no way that would work and I told the dealership. They were not sure until they installed it and found out that the pipe was re-designed to go from the cooler to the radiator pipe inlet. So now the fluid goes to the cooler first then the radiator. This setup was used for easier install on XJ not equipped with the cooler so that the dealer did not have to remove so much stuff in the engine compartment to install that longer pipe at the bottom of the radiator. So it is your choice which way you want it. I have mine going to the cooler first. I hope this helps.
Alex

Last edited:
The radiator first is the best way from a heat transfer perspective. It will give you the coolest return temp to the tranny.

Back