• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can some1 tell me if this is LSD or Open D44 diff

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
just got me a complete D44 from a 89 cherokee, popped the diff cover off drained the oil and not sure if this is a factory LSD or open

also need tips on how to install it into my 89 with a D35 currently.. the dana 44 only came with one parking cable will i be able to reuse the D35 parking cable?

also i am not sure what gearing this D44 is, how do i check? there is #s inside on the pinion
here is the #s
3139 4 21 93 Dana T18437MA1AU77846 L3

9jonpl.jpg

1z5hf2b.jpg

Looks to be limited slip. And yes you can just re use your parking brake cables. Are you lifted at all? I understand the pinion on the 44 to be a little longer than the 35 so driveshaft length is a potential issue.

its not really a good pic to tell what it is. does it look like there are disks outboard of the side gears? the cut-out in the carrier looks a bit small so it could be an LSD.
when you turn the pinion by hand what happens?
when you turn one axle by hand what happens?
you will need a new shorter D/S. can you get the one from the rig it came out of?

count the teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion, that will be your ratio. the number of teeth on the set will be stamped into the side of the ring gear.
i'd say that axle was regeared at some point because that number 4 21 93 looks like a date stamp for production of the gears.

its not really a good pic to tell what it is. does it look like there are disks outboard of the side gears? the cut-out in the carrier looks a bit small so it could be an LSD.
when you turn the pinion by hand what happens?
when you turn one axle by hand what happens?
you will need a new shorter D/S. can you get the one from the rig it came out of?

count the teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion, that will be your ratio. the number of teeth on the set will be stamped into the side of the ring gear.
i'd say that axle was regeared at some point because that number 4 21 93 looks like a date stamp for production of the gears.

hes got the diff open, why on earth would he do all of those rediculous tests?

it appears to be open. all i see are the 4 spider gears.

gear ratio should be stamped somewhere on the ring gear, id guess what ever the stamp to the left of "4 21 93" is. hard to tell. counting the teeth will work if your not sure.

traclok16_carriers_720.jpg

i believe these dont use an S shaped spring like the 8.8s im used to. pull the spiders and look for clutch pack behind the side gears (youll want to replace 25 year old clutches anyway)... it appears you do in fact have a LSD carrier at the very least.

mine deff looks like the one on the right

also looked around the spider gears and there seem to be shim/clutch looking spacers

traclok16_carriers_720.jpg

i believe these dont use an S shaped spring like the 8.8s im used to. pull the spiders and look for clutch pack behind the side gears (youll want to replace 25 year old clutches anyway)... it appears you do in fact have a LSD carrier at the very least.

in the dana, you can take the diff out to get a better look.

just be sure to mark the bearing caps for left and right and top and bottom orientation. they need to be reinstalled the same way. really easy to count the pinion teeth with the carrier out too.

just counted the teeth on the ring gear got 46 and pinion got 13 so that means i have 3.53 gear? will this work with my stock 3.55 D30 front axle ratio?

Last edited:
thats a LS guys. thats a LS carrier. thats why you cant fit lunchbox lockers in a LS carrier. the hold one tire and try to spin the other test may not work if the LS clutches are just totally wasted .

ok i have another question

do i use the junction block that came with the D44? it is still attached to the axle and the main rubber brake line is cut, my question is how do i remove it from the block? does it just unscrew? i currently have braided SS lines on my jeep

there is a bolt/screw/breather tube holding it on usually. Id be surprised if you couldn't see it .

In order to check for limited slip carrier there are 2 different things you could check.

1- as stated above, turn one axle, not the pinion, in one direction while observing the rotation of the axle on the opposite side. If the other axle turns in the same direction, just like if it was a solid axle all the way through the housing and you have a carrier with spider gears, it is a limited slip. If you don't have a drum on the other side, bolt on a wheel or tire to make it easier to see.

2- In your case, look behind the spider gears that the axles go through. If you see just the inner walls of the carrier, then it is an "open" carrier. But if you see clutch packs (looks like large washers)behind the axle spider gears (between the gears and the inner carrier walls), then it is a limited slip carrier. Although your pictures are a little hard to see, it does look like there are clutch packs behind the gears.

Yes, most limited slip carriers have spider gears but there are 3 different types.

A- One type is the one described above and is rebuildable with a clutch kit. The 2 pinion version from Dana (what it looks like that you have) is called a "Tracloc". The stronger, 4 pinion model is the "Powerloc".

B- Another (the Auburn type) has 4 preload springs and 2 plates that the springs ride on in between spider gears and use cones behind the axle spider gears that ride in cone shaped recesses cut into the carrier. While this type of differential is technically rebuildable, most people don't do it because of the machining involved.

C- This is the newer "Helical" gear type made by Detroit called the "Trutrac".

Last edited:
you want one person to hold the other wheel. I do this all the time before popping covers on a rig I'm about to buy off craigslist. one person hold one tire, the other spins the other side to see if he can break it loose or not. thats how you can tell if its locked/LSD/OPEN. but that carrier is A LSD carrier. Ive seen a ton of them in my time go in and out 44s.

do i reuse the D35 junction block or the one from the D44?

the d35 junction block has the diff vent connected on top but the D44 has its own hole right next to the junction block..

use whatever axle you are installing setup. there is no "junction block". the rear soft brake line has a "block" type end where your 2 hard lines on the axle go into to. Thats probably what you are talking . just bolt up the 44 and use your current soft line. good time to upgrade to a 96 durango rear brake line.

Back