• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting a welder.. need advice

2000Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
well i am looking at getting a welder but i would like to keep the cost low. i found one at home depot and it s lincoln..

here are teh specs

Versatility, value and dependable performance are the hallmarks of this terrific wire feed welder from Lincoln Electric. You'll be welding with gasless, flux-cored wire on light gauge mild steel in no time - everything you need is right in the box! The Weld-Pak 100HD has 30-100 amps welding output and welds up to 1/4 In. steel. The welder plugs into a 115V (15 amp) outlet. The unit is compact, portable, lightweight and easy to use. The Weld-Pak 100HD comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor. (90 days warranty on the gun and cable).

• Easily upgrades to MIG
• Welds up to 1/4 In.
• 3-year parts and labor warranty
• 90-day gun and cable assembly warranty

and i can get the gass conversion kit for it. for an extra 100 bux. i am looking for something i can do to fix body panels, weld on new spring perches and weld on a new body mount on my cj. do you guys think this would be a good welder for me? this will be my first welder.

If you can possibly stretch the budget, but still need to stay in the small/portable/115 volt range, I'd go for the next size up, and get a 135. Lincoln, Hobart and Miller make them. Most pros seem to prefer Miller these days. Yes, it's more money, but if you can do it, get a 135 with the gas already set up for something in the 600 buck range and you will have a real machine that does real work.

Flux core wire is good for outdoor work, but it leaves slag, and when you're using a small wirefeed welder, this means that for any work you do that requires multiple passes, you'll have to stop and chip slag between passes, and if you miss some the weld will look nasty. Once you've used real MIG, you'll be spoiled for life. You can expect to have to make multiple passes often if you try to do heavier work with a small welder, so this is a real factor. Mig leaves a clean weld, and the wire is much cheaper too.

You'll likely get opinions from forum members that you should skip the 115 volt stuff altogether and go for a bigger machine. That's good advice too, but I have found a decent 115 volt wirefeed to be adequate for many jobs, and convenient too. It's worth considering getting a 115 volt welder and then getting a big old stick welder later. But if this is to be your only welder, and especially if you're learning, I'd get a better one. By the way, I have a Miller 135, and it's very very nice. Before that I had an older Hobart Handler 95, and it was adequate (this from when Hobart was a primo company, not Miller's bargain brand), well made, etc., but the Miller is easier to use, feeds better, etc. etc. It's just a really good machine.

Matthew Currie said:
If you can possibly stretch the budget, but still need to stay in the small/portable/115 volt range, I'd go for the next size up, and get a 135. Lincoln, Hobart and Miller make them. Most pros seem to prefer Miller these days. Yes, it's more money, but if you can do it, get a 135 with the gas already set up for something in the 600 buck range and you will have a real machine that does real work.

Flux core wire is good for outdoor work, but it leaves slag, and when you're using a small wirefeed welder, this means that for any work you do that requires multiple passes, you'll have to stop and chip slag between passes, and if you miss some the weld will look nasty. Once you've used real MIG, you'll be spoiled for life. You can expect to have to make multiple passes often if you try to do heavier work with a small welder, so this is a real factor. Mig leaves a clean weld, and the wire is much cheaper too.

You'll likely get opinions from forum members that you should skip the 115 volt stuff altogether and go for a bigger machine. That's good advice too, but I have found a decent 115 volt wirefeed to be adequate for many jobs, and convenient too. It's worth considering getting a 115 volt welder and then getting a big old stick welder later. But if this is to be your only welder, and especially if you're learning, I'd get a better one. By the way, I have a Miller 135, and it's very very nice. Before that I had an older Hobart Handler 95, and it was adequate (this from when Hobart was a primo company, not Miller's bargain brand), well made, etc., but the Miller is easier to use, feeds better, etc. etc. It's just a really good machine.

Thats good to hear another positive opinion. I have been saving for the Miller 135 for a little while now. I have done a lot of research and I think that Miller is the ticket. It's also rated for up to 3/8. Perfect for the home redneck fabber like me:farmer:

I bought the Lincoln Weld Pack 3200HD last weekend at Home Depot. I had looked at a similar Hobart, but the Lincoln was $140 less and was rated for 5/16". I used it to make a cargo bar out of 3/16" flat bar and some 1.5" .120 square tube.

740330_271_full.jpg

740330_272_full.jpg

Greg

Back