• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metalcloak Lift

the_mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I finally sold my Cadillac and am now looking to lift my '95 XJ with the extra cash (and then some, most likely). I recently started looking into a lift kit from Metalcloak and it looks like an interesting kit. My plan was to piece-meal a 'kit' together from a few sources but this one has me intrigued.

At $1,599 without shocks, it does get to the top end of what I was looking at pretty quickly but it does look pretty complete (except for the shocks of course). What I want to know is if anyone has gotten this kit? How does it seem to hold up with use? How is the ride with the dual rate springs? Has anyone added a bumper/winch and does it handle the extra weight ok?

Never seen or heard of them before, but it doesn't look well put together! There is nothing that I would want in a kit.

MetalCloak is popular in the JK community. The duroflex bushings are interesting design (rotate like poly instead of bound like clevites), but good clevites work too and can be sourced from multiple parties. The rest of the control arm is the same as all the other jam-nut adjustables as far as I can tell, heavier construction than some, maybe. Some people complain that the springs make noise, like they chatter when they open and close rapidly. Its supposed to help the spring stay seated on full droop but XJs have long upper bounce so not usually a problem. I believe the shocks in their kit are OME, leaf springs may be too (not sure). One thing I don't like about their XJ kit is the single-shear trackbar, that right there is enough to keep me from buying.

We've been a sponsor of NAXJA for a couple years now, but this will be my first post. :looser:

Thank you to the OP for the thread. As you may know, we always appreciate any and all feedback on our products. However, we also like to make sure everyone understands our technology and that what we promise from our products, we deliver - we never rest on marketing slang or "gimmicks" ;-)

The Duroflex bushings are the first vibration dampening, hi-misalignment bushing, and while a Clevite will get the vibration dampening, it misses on the hi-misalignment mark. On our TJ's and JK's our 3.5" short/mid arm kits get more articulation then many production long-arms partly because of that misalignment.

Not sure about the comments on spring chatter since I've never received a report of that from any of our customers. But, please, if there are any threads out there that I have missed, please let me know - it is incredibly important to us to make sure our products are working properly.

As a note, having a long upper jounce may stop your spring from falling out, but our goal was to also provide stability. When the coil is touching the spring buckets at all times, the rig is more stable at full articulation.

While we've been proud to have a following in the CJ/YJ/TJ and JK communities, we're incredibly fortunate to have a growing presence in the XJ community - which is one reason you may be seeing XJ fenders and a long arm system in 2017.

Thank you again to the OP and to all your feedback.

One thing I don't like about their XJ kit is the single-shear trackbar, that right there is enough to keep me from buying.

Been racing on a single shear trackbar since 2012 and haven't even worn out a joint yet. I don't see this as a conceptual problem at all.

The geometry of it is another story, running the rod end horizontal instead of vertical, it will run out of travel and bind with real droop. The lower end RE trackbar is the same and has the same problem.

As a note, having a long upper jounce may stop your spring from falling out, but our goal was to also provide stability. When the coil is touching the spring buckets at all times, the rig is more stable at full articulation.
How does that work with a spring rate that is soft enough to stay fully compressed under normal load? If the axle drops enough for the spring to decompress, then there's not much weight on it either. Feels less tippy maybe, but no real push back from it? Not trying to argue, just asking for clarification

I can't comment on the mechanics of it, but i can confirm the practical application of that statement. Upper coil in this picture is only 100 pound spring rate but makes a huge difference.

IMG_20160507_151337706_HDR_zpsgunrlnsl.jpg

IMG_20160522_092446525_zpsdd5a19wr.jpg

I can't comment on the mechanics of it, but i can confirm the practical application of that statement. Upper coil in this picture is only 100 pound spring rate but makes a huge difference.

IMG_20160507_151337706_HDR_zpsgunrlnsl.jpg

IMG_20160522_092446525_zpsdd5a19wr.jpg

That looks like it may be a little tough on the isolator unless there's something I'm missing.

I don't miss much. Well that is unless it's moving.

:)

Less to no tippy feeling when transitioning from a front tire off the ground to a rear tire off the ground, when coming through something.

Full suspension travel on go fast. Once you run out of spring, gravity doesn't overcome rebound damping on the shocks fast enough, so you don't use what isn't sprung.

Both may sound petty, but are scenarios that come up repeatedly every time 4643 touches dirt.

Just installed a 3 1/2 in. Metalcloak lift on a 97 sport. Well made and contained everything needed...extended brake lines, bump stops both front and back with the front from 1" to 4" that are hockey pucks with correct size bolts for each height, and sway bar discos. But have more lift in the back than wanted with ole man emu full leaf pack installed. Going to take a leaf out and see if it evens out. Have a thread over on other forum entitled "got her hiney in the air". Have not put any time on it yet so can't speak of how it handles. Going have to have SYE due to vibes.

Just installed a 3 1/2 in. Metalcloak lift on a 97 sport. Well made and contained everything needed...extended brake lines, bump stops both front and back with the front from 1" to 4" that are hockey pucks with correct size bolts for each height, and sway bar discos. But have more lift in the back than wanted with ole man emu full leaf pack installed. Going to take a leaf out and see if it evens out. Have a thread over on other forum entitled "got her hiney in the air". Have not put any time on it yet so can't speak of how it handles. Going have to have SYE due to vibes.
Idk about you but I was grounded from your thread for a few days.....
Then my post was edited, thought it was weird since there were no sort of profanity or offensive content in it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Put it on the ground.

Loosen the bolts at the front of the leaf, shackle and shackle mount, just a few turns each.

Jump up and down on the rear bumper several times.

Tighten bolts back up.

If it hasnt dropped the way you want it to, throw 500 pounds in the back and drive it around a week or two. New leafs will settle a lot.

It's been bout 3 weeks now and they have "settled" but still sitting 22 1/2 in. from center of the wheel to the bottom of the OEM flare. Like I said over there, I have absolutely nutin in the back, not even carpet and the gas tank is bouta 1/4 tank. Haven't been driving it due to bad vibes and waitin to do SYE.

Yeah, I know the thread was locked for a while, can't figure that out. I think I will be very happy with the kit when it is finished and adjustments are made.

Less to no tippy feeling when transitioning from a front tire off the ground to a rear tire off the ground, when coming through something.

Full suspension travel on go fast. Once you run out of spring, gravity doesn't overcome rebound damping on the shocks fast enough, so you don't use what isn't sprung.

Both may sound petty, but are scenarios that come up repeatedly every time 4643 touches dirt.

Great examples and well stated. Thanks!

It's been bout 3 weeks now and they have "settled" but still sitting 22 1/2 in. from center of the wheel to the bottom of the OEM flare. Like I said over there, I have absolutely nutin in the back, not even carpet and the gas tank is bouta 1/4 tank. Haven't been driving it due to bad vibes and waitin to do SYE.

Yeah, I know the thread was locked for a while, can't figure that out. I think I will be very happy with the kit when it is finished and adjustments are made.

Sitting 3 weeks without driving isn't going to do anything, but drive on it for a couple of weeks (with weight in there) before you start pulling leafs out.

Traditionally OME leafs are pretty soft, and they should settle in once you start using them.

We've been a sponsor of NAXJA for a couple years now, but this will be my first post. :looser:

Thank you to the OP for the thread. As you may know, we always appreciate any and all feedback on our products. However, we also like to make sure everyone understands our technology and that what we promise from our products, we deliver - we never rest on marketing slang or "gimmicks" ;-)

The Duroflex bushings are the first vibration dampening, hi-misalignment bushing, and while a Clevite will get the vibration dampening, it misses on the hi-misalignment mark. On our TJ's and JK's our 3.5" short/mid arm kits get more articulation then many production long-arms partly because of that misalignment.

Not sure about the comments on spring chatter since I've never received a report of that from any of our customers. But, please, if there are any threads out there that I have missed, please let me know - it is incredibly important to us to make sure our products are working properly.

While we've been proud to have a following in the CJ/YJ/TJ and JK communities, we're incredibly fortunate to have a growing presence in the XJ community - which is one reason you may be seeing XJ fenders and a long arm system in 2017.

Thank you again to the OP and to all your feedback.

Can't wait to see your fenders I have replaced Jonny Joints on my Full Traction kit with your duraflex joints they work great and the road noise was drastically reduced. I went to your shop in Rancho Cordova and your staff helped me with my project. Your designs are innovative and outside the box glad to see your investing in XJ's. Thank you.

Back