• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fun with the thermostat housing

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well for the past few weeks, well really ever since I got done with converting my 90 to the open system, I've had a leak around the thermostat housing. So anyway today at the junkyard (yeah theres one here that's open Sundays which rocks) I got the housing from a 98, that I knew was in fine shape meaning not warped or cracked. I put it on and had a huge leak, I hadn't even turned the damn thing on yet and it leaked. So anyway long story short I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was putting the thermostat in the housing and then the gasket on top of the thermostat. What you're supposed to do (atleast on the older XJs) is put the thermostat in the head first, where there is an indentation and then put the gasket and housing on top of it. This is probably something that all of you guys knew and I just didn't but anyway now I don't seem to have any leaks. The box that the thermostat comes in shows the gasket on top of the thermostat but I don't think its right. Also that bottom bolt can make all the difference in the world on leaks if it's not all the way snugged up. I don't have a torque wrench so I just kinda go by guestimate which is an awesome method. Anyway hopefully this helps someone in the future or if I'm incorrect about this method someone can correct me.

Back