• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD -> 4WD

No..... I have actually done that before. I have a set of shafts with big joints available in my for sale thread about my axles.

Well I just looked again... This is what I have:

Short Side complete shaft (inner, outer, good big joint installed)
Two long side shafts with Brand new Big joints installed, but no outter shafts on either of those. I would take $120.00 for them, and all you would need is two more stub shafts (outters) and you would have a full set of big joint shafts, and a spare long side shaft.

BTW I paid $125.00 for them about 3 months ago, and then spent about $60 on the two new u-joints that are in the long shafts. So I think $120 is a good deal.

If you still have them by ROM I might grab them from you then. Don't hold on to them if somebody else wants them though.

I have family in Bridgecreek. I would have gladly helped last weekend! Everything in Marlow was shutdown because of the ice storm, so we were in Bridgecreek anyway.
I wish I could this weekend but life is back to normal and V-Day!

I've been busy this weekend but I'm not done yet. Just taking a break.

Friday night I did the axle seals on my D30 since it was out of the jeep. I also locked the disconnect so I don't have to worry about swapping all the vacuum lines. I also painted the diff cover just cause I can. :)

Yesterday I pulled the good motor and did some maintainence on it while it was out. I did the oil filter adapter o-rings and swapped both the A/C bracket and the PS pump bracket since they were in better shape than the ones on my good engine.

This morning I've been mostly just swapping stuff over that is easier to do with the motors out (C4x4 Tow hooks, C-ROK steering plate, Trackbar mount, Tranny cooler, etc).

I'm heading back over to the shop in a minute and I'll be stabbing the good motor into the 4DR.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Looking good! Sorry I couldn't help. My wife is going out of town sometime soon, which means I would be free if I didn't have new parts in the garage waiting to go on mine. Maybe one day I can swing by though and point and nod.
BS01

Update:

Got the motor in.
Got the axles in.
Fired her up! :)

I've got to finish up the rear axle (driveshaft and shocks), get the door latch installed, and install the front clip.

I am having one problem though. I picked up a door handle/window control unit from the junkyard since the new truck was missing that and the old truck was manual. I connected it up to check it out and noticed something weird.
The drivers panel will control all 4 windows, but none of the controls on the individual doors will work. There is a lockout switch on the panel but it had no impact. The other problem I've noticed is that the power locks don't work at all, either from the drivers panel or the individual doors.
The truck is a '92 and the panel I pulled is from a 94?. Is there any chance the pin-out on the connector changed between those years? It plugged right in so at least I got that part right :)
Where would I be able to get a hold of a wiring schematic for the door controls? My next step is to bypass the controls and jumper the wires together and see if I can get it to work that way.

After I took this picture I got the rear axle hung.
jeep1.jpg

mine does the same thing. im the only one that can roll down all the windows. it doesnt bother me too much though.

Well I got the swap done last week. I've just been finishing up the little loose ends and getting it set up and cleaned up. Overall I'm pretty pleased, and having the extra bells and whistles of a laredo versus a sport sure are nice. Plus the 4 doors make getting my kids in and out of the truck a whole heck of a lot easier.

Once I finish getting the Custom 4x4 rock rails on and give it a good bath I'll take some more pictures and update this thread.

I only had a couple of issues that ate more time than I expected.

1) Pulling and stabbing motors by yourself sucks.....
2) The transfer case shifter bracket is a major pita to get lined up and tightened down. Why, O, Why do the screws go from inside the cab?
3) I had to fight some electrical gremlins, including a bad headlight switch.

Overall I had about 30 hours into the entire project with all but about 2 hours by myself. There were several things that I took care off that didn't directly relate to the swap so those added some considerable time.

It was a good experience and I really enjoy the solitude of turning a wrench so yeah... I'm glad I did it.... I'm also really, really glad I'm done. :)

So now I'm ready for ROM!!!!

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Sweet! I'm glad you got it done! The more folks from Oklahoma going down there the better!!!

oh and your window problem is the window lockout switch itself. THey ALL go bad. My 98's is intermittent. Gets annoying sometimes. i jiggle it and usually gets the other doors working. sometimes not.

Last edited:
Back