• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Winter" is almost here.....projects

On vacation this week. Already started on my winter projects.

Put on the rock rails today. I'm gonna be sore for a while.

Had the transfercase skid on, but the 3" bolt on the driver's side just about intersected the front driveshaft. I'll try again tomorrow with a 2.5" bolt. That just looked a bit scary for anything but mall crawling.

To go:
Hook up transmission temp gauge.
Install two 130W daylighters on the front bumper.
Hook up CB
Hook up lights underneath for night wheeling.

Theoretically, I will then be more or less done until I got to the 285/75/16s from the 32X10.5X15s I'm currently running. There will be some 'trimming'.

For the record: Whenever the instructions say "fits holes on most XJs" or "fits most XJs"...They don't ever mean it will fit an 01 without work/tweaking/drilling/frustration/bloody knuckles and then sometimes not at all.

Well, at the new job I just started one of the gentlemen I work with has all the tools and metal necessary to fab me up a rear bumper. So, hopefully by the time our inaugural run comes around I'll be looking at cool new rear bumper with tire carrier on my Heep. In addition, I'll hopefully know my way around a MIG and a plasma cutter by the end of it. Fun Fun!

Ramsey said:
I can work in the heat, being garageless I slow down with the cold weather. Can't stand working out in the cold.
Just like a snake...........hhmmmmmmmm!!!

Picked up a few things after work on Sun morning. Paid a little more than I wnted to, but far less than anywhere else I looked.

Anyway. 94 Ford Crown vic disc brake setup. I need a new dust shield on one, but the dude threw in a new set of pads for the brake and Ebrake, and the Rubi reatainer plaes, so I can't complain.

Disc1.jpg

Then there's the builder D44. I figure this will be the one that gets regeared first. I am going to use the drums off of this one sinse they have more meat on them than the other ones drums. I'll throw the drum one under the XJ soon and start on the swap to disc on this one.

d44right.jpg

d44left.jpg

d44center.jpg

So this will bring my axle count up to 4 in the garage. A HP D30, two XJ D44's, and a 29 spline 8.25. All complete and taking up space!

add replace pinion bearing and seal on my 30 to the list.

balloo93 said:
So this will bring my axle count up to 4 in the garage. A HP D30, two XJ D44's, and a 29 spline 8.25. All complete and taking up space!

Wow!

Let me know when you have a parts sale.

Add to my list possible rear main seal replacement. It started leaking last winter, but isn't spotting the floor yet.

Well, mine's been a work in progress since I got it back in August... so I don't really have a "winter" project, but rather, ongoing projects.

I have done:

5 spoke TJ aluminum wheels with Goodyear Wranglers (235/75)
Valve cover gasket (sprayed oil all over my engine, THANK YOU, DPO)
Replace shocks with factory style replacement (I can't afford to break my Jeep right now...)
Numerous small interior parts from salvage
Sand and paint hood flat black (Jeep is black, hood was really faded and had some rust along the center creases.

Still need to come up with:

Standard (non-power) driver seat. My power seat is FUBAR, I don't need/want power adjust or leather seating surface. Just something that looks decent.

Front brakes... this thing is a bitch to slow down. The brakes don't hold great when I took it wheeling. Maybe just needs a bleed, as the rotors and pads looked OK when I did my shocks last week...

AM/FM type radio for my commute to work. Already have a 2 meter Ham mobile installed :)

goodburbon said:
I have a stock am/fm radio for a 1997 and up xj, what year is yours?

Mine is a 1988. It was broken into sometime in the past, and the stereo stolen. That reminds me, I need to go by the dealership today and order a door lock cylinder for the driver side...

I'll just end up putting in some $150 AM/FM/CD deal as long as I can find one with an input on the faceplate so I can hook my BlackBerry to it for tunes. :party:

I went with a SONY explode series with MP3 capability. They go for around $120 or less. The one I put in my commuter is a tad more powerful than my 2yr old one, has MP3 and has an external port for MP3 player (pretty much any player).

$5 adapter and I can plug in any of my MP3 players in and it works.

I got one of the sony xplod units in an impulse buy situation when my Kenwood Excelon deck bit the dust on that long drive to Colorado. I hate it. The display has begun to malfunction because of the weak ass connection to the head unit, Katy got a unit one step under mine and hers eats CDs. I'll avoid Sony like the plague next time I am in the market for a radio. (which happens to be now)

Just ordered a 3" RC lift, just got my Posi-lok. So I will be putting those in soon. I have to patch the floor on the passanger side. I would love to get to the exhaust. I had an injector o-ring and fuel disconnect leak so I afixed those last week. But this is my daily driver so my heep cant be down longer then my day off. And also thinking bout the brake upgrade(mc/booster).

Currently in the process of doing the ole hpd44 and 9", 4 link front and rear with longarms. No garage though so I dont know how much of a winter project it will be.

Back