• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Questions

joecool

NAXJA Forum User
I have done some searching, but haven't found all the answers I'm looking for. I have a 94 with 103k miles, about 3" of lift, 1" tc drop. Anyway, after coming back from a jamboree I noticed a squeaking noise coming from my front end. I had it checked out and they said my front drive shaft was going bad, but I didn't have time to let them fix it that day anyway. So what I am getting at here is should I buy an aftermarket one or is the OEM one fine? If I should get an aftermarket one, what make and do I need to change the length or anything like that? Should I change it myself (I have only basic mechanic knowledge)? Lastly, what would have caused it to start going bad? That way I can prevent it from happening again (just old and worn out?) Thanks in advance for reading all this and any information you have. Hope this all makes sense.

joecool said:
I have done some searching, but haven't found all the answers I'm looking for. I have a 94 with 103k miles, about 3" of lift, 1" tc drop. Anyway, after coming back from a jamboree I noticed a squeaking noise coming from my front end. I had it checked out and they said my front drive shaft was going bad, but I didn't have time to let them fix it that day anyway. So what I am getting at here is should I buy an aftermarket one or is the OEM one fine? If I should get an aftermarket one, what make and do I need to change the length or anything like that? Should I change it myself (I have only basic mechanic knowledge)? Lastly, what would have caused it to start going bad? That way I can prevent it from happening again (just old and worn out?) Thanks in advance for reading all this and any information you have. Hope this all makes sense.
How is it going bad? is it the joint? if so it can be rebuilt by a driveshaft shop. Is it hte ujoints? if so, you should be able to replace them yourself. Good test would be to take the driveshaft off and drive without it and see what happens (as in is there a noise or is it gone)

Oh yeah it is a double cardan if that changes things. anyway, I took it into tire kingdom, because i thought it was the brakes at first. They didnt tell me what was exactly wrong. they just said it was going bad, and told me it would be about $300 to replace. I was going to try removing the shaft, but i havent had time, hopefully tomorrow. I will let you know the results. Thanks again.

If it's just an angry squeaking; the centering joint on the double-cardan is probably dry. It can be rebuilt for far less than the $300 they want to do it for; most driveshaft shops or NAPA should have the Spicer part you need.

Years ago those couble cardan centering balls were greaseable but for some reason they don't seem to be anymore. You can take yours apart and check the needle bearings in the centering ball for wear...if they're o.k. you can regrease and re-install it. As a precaution it is a good idea to disassemble those non-greaseable centering balls and relube them yearly....or more often if you dunk your rig in water regularly.

I just had the front drive shaft of my 97 rebuilt. I had 182,000 miles on it.

3 U-Joints, and 1 ball, and then a re-balance. $125.00.

It is easy to take off and reinstall and that would save you some cash.

Bring it to a reputable drive shaft place and let them look at it and tell you what you need.

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ

I'm curious about this also. I have the crappy "standard duty" front shaft with the unservicable boot, and since the lift, with front engaged it sounds like I am chewing needle bearings up.

Does anyone know if the "heavy duty" front shaft is a direct swap? I can not tell from the pics, I even have factory manuals which clear nothing up about this swap.

85cherokee said:
I'm curious about this also. I have the crappy "standard duty" front shaft with the unservicable boot, and since the lift, with front engaged it sounds like I am chewing needle bearings up.

Does anyone know if the "heavy duty" front shaft is a direct swap? I can not tell from the pics, I even have factory manuals which clear nothing up about this swap.

do you have the stick in a can front driveshaft?
if so yes they are swapable but you have to watch the length there's a short one and a long one.
auto or standard? what engine?

yes! excellent analogy...stick-in-a-can, sounds like it's spitting needle bearings. would love to go to the double-cardan, but don't know if it is a direct swap. it is 2.5L, 904 auto, NP207

Last edited:
Back