• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Temp Sensor causes High Idle RENIX?

Storydude

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Just trying to figure out this high idle problem.
88 MJ RENIX 4 cyl. 4 speed.

Replaced the Intake/exhaust gasket because it was toasted, Idle came down about 300-500 RPM.

When it's cold, it idles right at 750RPM. As it warms up, idle keeps climbing, untill it's around 2500-3K at fully warm. Idle Speed motor is working, and adjusted correctly. I tested the CTS, and it's cooked. All new Vac. lines, and no leaks around intake, or TB. Throttle plate is closed all the way.

Will a Blown CTS cause a rich running condition, and high idle???

Storydude said:
Hi all. Just trying to figure out this high idle problem.
88 MJ RENIX 4 cyl. 4 speed.

Replaced the Intake/exhaust gasket because it was toasted, Idle came down about 300-500 RPM.

When it's cold, it idles right at 750RPM. As it warms up, idle keeps climbing, untill it's around 2500-3K at fully warm. Idle Speed motor is working, and adjusted correctly. I tested the CTS, and it's cooked. All new Vac. lines, and no leaks around intake, or TB. Throttle plate is closed all the way.

Will a Blown CTS cause a rich running condition, and high idle???

might but my quess would be the map senser, if you rev the motor will the idle come down?

xjnation said:
might but my quess would be the map senser, if you rev the motor will the idle come down?
Nope. And MAP sensor tested within spec.

That's the ONLY sensor that's bad, and I'm wanting some background before dropping 25 bones on a THERMOMETER. Other than the high idle, it runs GREAT....but I want to fix it before I melt my new Clutch because of the high idle. It'll lope along at 45 in 4th with my foot off the gas.

EDIT: I went out and re-torqued the intake, all were where I left them. sprayed Carb cleaner around the intake, and no change in idle speed, so there is no leak there. I removed that big Black Vac. Block to the left of the TB, and ran ALL new lines to replace it. New TB gasket, and no Vac. Leaks I can find.

It seems like an old Carbed engine when the choke sticks..

Back