• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dog ate my Drivers Seat!!!!

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
find a local hot rod place, they'll have the hookup one someone that can reupholster your seat.
It's usually about $50-$75 in my area to have a seat done.

First. Linky no worky. :roll: However, if it is one of those plastic formed seat thats they have for something like $50, IIRC, don't... not in a DD it'll kill your back.

Personally I've never rebuilt a seat. However, if it was my DD and I needed a new one, I'd start either looking at stock ones for sale, or look into an aftermarket suspension seat. Granted the later isn't a cheap option, but you're back will thank you later. There is also reupholstering that 87manche mentioned, that might even be the best option for on the cheap and if they are any good, will probably be better than a used stock replacement. But, you should be able to pick up a stock seat cheap enought if it doesn't have options like power and a heated bum region. :D

Last edited:
Double post. :dunce:

Last edited:
Sorry - I can't help with rebuilding the seat. But - my Husky ate through my left rear tire - she doesn't know how lucky she is to be alive!!!!!

Sell the dog and get a new seat...and a beagle :)

I've heard that dog hide makes a good seat cover! That's what would happen to my dog if she did that!

JNickel101 said:
Sell the dog and get a new seat...and a beagle :)

Great, a choice between having your seat eaten or shat on.... My westie took a dump the first 3 or 4 times I took him out. Till he got over 'we were not going to the vet' every time he got in my jeep, only the wifes Olds took him to the vet so that was the car that got shat in.... :D :D :D

Second the choice of getting it either recovered with better foam or hit a boneyard and pick up another.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG2100&N=700+%2D128277+115&autoview=sku
Ok that link should work. Its the performance seat or the poly pro seat. Of course I would get the cover too.
Sorry - I can't help with rebuilding the seat. But - my Husky ate through my left rear tire - she doesn't know how lucky she is to be alive!!!!!
Yea Im amazed that your dog didn't loose its jaw
I've heard that dog hide makes a good seat cover! That's what would happen to my dog if she did that!
No way I love all three of my labs I have a yellow and a chocolate and a black one I got my GF for x-mas. The back one is only 12 weeks old the yellow is 16 months old and the chocolate is 10 months old

Last edited:
87manche said:
find a local hot rod place, they'll have the hookup one someone that can reupholster your seat.
It's usually about $50-$75 in my area to have a seat done.
Wow the best I have heard is $150 Just to repair the bottom cushion

1985xjlaredo said:

A few years ago I took my 98 to a custom upholstery place that a local hot rod shop suggested, they pulled the seat out, stripped it, rewelded it and put steel gussets in so it would not break again, put new foam in and put it back in. I dropped it at 9am picked it up around 1pm or so. Total, $50 cash. Five years later it's still more comfortable than the passenger seat. Best $50 I ever spent. These guys also had 2 hot rods and two antiques they were working on too.
They told me it was a 20 minute job.

1985xjlaredo said:
well, what can I say, lot's of old time hot rodders in my area that do interior work.

Junkyard my friend. Cheap-ass seats from China are not the anwser. If you are driving an '85 XJ then you probably won't be bothered that someone else deeply and joyfully blew many farts into your seat before you.

I just picked up a whole new seat (electric) for $65. If the 85 seats are anything like the 87, the bottom cushion comes off fairly easy once you get the seat out. Just the bottom from a junkyard shouldn't be very much at all, find one with a messed up back, offer $10.
GoJeep did a write up on seat cushion R&R, worth a read if you decide to do your own.

CaughtCoriShepScrappyIlikefurniture.JPG

....must have....new Mastercraft...Rubicons...woof woof

Well I fixed it for less than $10.00. Got some fabric that was really close to the patern and color some upholstery thread and a needle. Took me forever (4 hours) to sew through the leather sides. But it looks pretty good alot better than i have ever seen it. I have some pics of the project if anyone would like to see them.

1985xjlaredo said:
Well I fixed it for less than $10.00. Got some fabric that was really close to the patern and color some upholstery thread and a needle. Took me forever (4 hours) to sew through the leather sides. But it looks pretty good alot better than i have ever seen it. I have some pics of the project if anyone would like to see them.

It cost you more than $10 if you had to spend four hours sewing.....If I enjoy doing it I don't count the cost but SEWING for 4 hours, man, thats about $40-$60 going by the seamstress's around here.
As long as you are happy with it though.
I replaced the headliner in my S10 with urban camo, once that was done I kept going and did both seats, took them and the material to a seamstress and had her sew them over the stock material. I sold it before I got to the door panels, it was winter time and I don't like freezing my ass off outside...

Luckily I have a heater garage now that we bought a house. But I have fun working on my Jeep. The most I had done with fabric before this was putting my clothes on. And the most fun I'd ever had with fabrics was taking it off some drunk hottie

Back