• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closed system: WAY too much pressure

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys.

if you've seen my build, you've seen that my '88 has been running smoothly for a week or so now, albeit only in small bursts. well today, i decided to take her out on an extended drive [well, longer than usual] all seemed well until i parked her and let her sit for a while. i saw a stream of coolant coming from the engine bay to the floor.

DAMN.

so i checked it out and she was steaming [obviously] and there was a hole burst in on of the coolant lines [i forget which one -duh- i have to check tomorrow but i beieve it was the one to the bottom of the pressure bottle]

so that was causing a lot of the leakage, but there was also fluid dripping from what appeared to be where the oil pan met the block [however, i think it was merely collecting there after dripping down] so ill have to check that as well [that would suck]

anyway, my question is what is this a possible symptom of?
shot radiator?
maybe in my efforts to stop a small wispy noise on the pressure bottle from the little nozzle up top -i used gasket maker to seal it- perhaps i created too much pressure in the system.

i really dont know much about this closed system...

Travis

More likely a shot pressure bottle. They crack, and they leak, and they're crap. I've been through 3 in 3 years. You can solve the problem with a new bottle, but buy it from the dealer, the AM ones are weak...and you shouldn't have to use RTV on the cap...

...but then you could always switch over to an open system, I know that's a touchy subject around here but it's worked for me so far.

Right, it sure is a touchy subject.

There are metal resivoirs out there that won't crack like the plastic bottles, but, they are like $100.00 or so.....

So it depends. You can go through 2 plastic bottles which would cost more than just buying the metal bottle. Your choice!

Can you clarify where you put the gasket maker? YOu didn't seal the cap with it did you? The cap is supposed to bleed off pressure and let air back in.

nope, the cap i just tightened [pretty tight... maybe thats why there was so much pressure?]

there was a wisping sound coming from a small [i mean .25" diameter small] metal pertrusion on the top-middle of the bottle. so i put gasket sealer on it to stop the wisping.

should the pressure bottle cap be just snug, or should it actually be tight [or otherwise?...]

like i said, im a huge newb to the closed system

Travis

because my explanations are probably of no help, here are some pics.

help001.jpg

the nozzle is that little brown thing in the middle of the top of the bottle.

help002.jpg

eh, this one is hard to see, but you can kind of make out the several small, almost puncture slits in the hose, it is also bubbled that way [which is why i know it burst and did not just have holes in it]

help003.jpg

its the first [from the left] coolant hose, it goes to the firewall.

thanks Travis

I would replace the bottle. It sounds like yours is cracked.

Edit: I didn't see the pics. With old and damaged hoses, you will never have a properly functioning closed system. Replace those hoses and the bottle. While you are at it, take a good look at the heater control valve. OEM is another plastic piece of shit.

yea, i figured.

anyone know of any good oem places to buy this stuff [i guess autozone might have the hoses, but the bottle?]

im sure a search would turn it up, but im aready on the topic...

rocklandxjer said:
yea, i figured.

anyone know of any good oem places to buy this stuff [i guess autozone might have the hoses, but the bottle?]

You can get it all right here:

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Cooling/index.html

The dealer is a good option for the bottle and cap. They might not be as expensive as you would expect. Napa and Autozone will have an aftermarket bottle, but I have not had a great experience with them. The crap from Napa blew out in a couple of months. If you are willing to spend the money, I would get that heater hose kit from teamcherokee with the metal T. No time like the present to replace all of that stuff. You may want to go to the dealer and grab a new thermostat, as well.

The metal thing on the top of the bottle is MAYBE some sort of pin that would lock into the hold-down for the tank? You can see where the hold-down goes by the darker color line on the tank.

That's what my guess is.

My '88 used a rubber strap that fit over that "nozzle". The discoloration on Rocklander's picture is where the old strap sat. Nothing should be leaking there.

rocklandxjer said:

This photo tells the whole story. I would not trust that bottle.

Replace the bottle and cap, get new heather hoses from the dealer (don't even bother trying to use universal heater hose, go pre-formed or nothing) and take a HARD look at the heater control valve.

While you're in there you may consider swapping out the thermostat with an OEM one, they're cheap from the dealer. Get a 195 degree one, in my experiance they work best.

Also - The threaded cap in the bottle must be for another application (Renault perhaps) as I've never seen a use for it in a Cherokee.

all right, so new hoses all around. new bottle and cap, and good look at the heater control valve. check.

any good places to order from, i dont really trust the places around me [though there is one good shop i trust maybe ill just order through him]

how much is an oem t stat?

edit: by the way, thanks to all thats added advice, i appreciate it

really? that cheap? damn im going to teh stealership tomorrow! ha ha

thanks guys i figured it was the bottle...

though, the radiator is old... ill have to inpect that while im in there....
anybody know of any places to get cheap radiator replacements [do they make rebuilds?] so i can have one just in case?

rocklandxjer said:
yea, i figured.

I bought my first and only bottle and cap on ebay from a regular ebayer (they are a "buy it now" item, always available last time I looked) over two years ago. I have had no problems with it.

Also www.4wd.com/cherokee, has it, part # 4773849K, for $26.99, and a new cap is # 52006707 for 4.99.
Personally, I like being able to see the coolant level in it, so I am staying with the plastic bottles (versus metal) even if I need to replace them say every three years or so.

I think I paid less than $140 delivered for my all metal three row radiator from once again, an ebayer, in this case I thinking it was www.radiatorwarehouse.com (somebody correct me on the spelling if I goofed it up, please). Just search ebay for "jeep radiator" and they should turn up.

Back