• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a 97 XJ. Can i get your opinion?

johnlv6

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hoping to get your thoughts on a XJ i'm going to look at tomorrow. It's a 97 Sport, manual, ABS, and CD player with 150,000 miles. It has new tires and a water pump. The paint has seen better days (oxidation on the hood), but it doesn't appear to have been beaten off-road. It's an original owner (clean history) and is owned by an older officer on my base. $3,800 was the asking price...he's "a little flexible." According to him it drives like new...we'll see.

All i'm looking for is a project vehicle (jack up and beat on it). It wont be a daily driver. I'd appreciate any input you have to offer..

I've been very happy with my 97 since the day I bought it. The same vehicle here in so-so to reasonably good condition is worth $6000 USD, so I can't speak to the price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if it has ABS, that means a Dana 35 rear axle. Mine has an 8.25" and no ABS.
The heater probably does not work properly, a common problem, there's a little plastic gear that breaks off up inside that allows it to switch between defrost and vents. If you bother to fix it, it will just break off again. Try the heater/AC on all settings to see if its good. With that many miles, and depending on the conditions it was used in, expect to need to change out quite a few parts. TRE's, control arm bushings, shocks, possibly rear leaf packs. The motor should still be good assuming he didn't bag it. There are folks out there who have put many many more miles than that on their motors and still have good tolerances and compression.

Can't think of anything else right now.

showmethemuddd said:
offer him 3g's andhaggle out a decent price in between. if its clean and ur lookin for a way to occupy your time constructively,well there ya go
sounds like a good enough idea.

pretty sure your right about abs meaning 35

Thanks guys. Beej... you're close on the price. There's a 97 SE on a dealer lot down the road for $7995 (not sure on the miles). Private party rigs seem to be in the $6-7k range. I'm really hoping it's a solid running vehicle. I'm not a fan of used car (or Jeep) shopping. I happened across this one, hopefully it works out :). I'm on a limited budget (in terms of time and money), so i wont be going overboard on it right off the bat. I'd want to drive it for a few weeks to make sure nothing needs to be replaced before doing the lift/big tire thing.

I got my 97' for $3000 with 170K miles. It came with new tires, brakes, ball joints, exhaust, and some other suspension stuff. Mint paint and mint body. Mine dosent have ABS, so make sure the one your looking at dosent have it either. But if your looking for a trail rig I guess mileage and condition shouldnt matter as much compared to buying it for a daily driver. Half the stuff you'll end up replacing anyways, and thepaint will get scratched to hell.

Just my input, take it or leave it, but haggle a bit on price. Mine was only 3K

Hey, 4x4's are top dollar in this next of the woods. Havent you seen the Poland Spring Water commercial or read the bottle? "you cant get there from here".

zfinger said:
Hey, 4x4's are top dollar in this next of the woods. Havent you seen the Poland Spring Water commercial or read the bottle? "you cant get there from here".
TV shows and commercials take a long time before they are run up here in Canadia. Right now we're only on season two of "Who's The Boss"... :D

Buy it.

I got my 97 "country edition" at a used car lot (friend owns it) with 88k miles and I got it for about $7k. Traded in my 88 for it (gave me $3k for it with 180k miles), but still making payments.

Beej said:
TV shows and commercials take a long time before they are run up here in Canadia. Right now we're only on season two of "Who's The Boss"... :D

Eagle said:

So...ABS=D35?

I about shed a tear when I started it up and saw the little ABS light come up on the bottom of the gauge cluster/panel...

DBenz said:
So...ABS=D35?

I about shed a tear when I started it up and saw the little ABS light come up on the bottom of the gauge cluster/panel...

Makes it easier for the 9'' swap. Since it's not a dd

DBenz said:
So...ABS=D35?

check your rear axle

there were some years of cars that had the ABS light on all of them, but did not have ABS...

Back