• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GOOD SOURCE FOR REMAN HEADS?

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
So shop space will be opening up for me next week to tear into the 4.0 in my 96.

I want to get the head on the way, but none of the companies I've found online give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. Has anyone had a really good experience with a particular reman company? Or had a bad experience with one that I should avoid?

I have an 0630 casting currently with a very leaky exhaust valve on #3. Maybe throwing a head at it is overkill, but I only want to do this work once. I have no interest in deviating from stock, I value reliability much more than a few extra HP.

I found this place, Best price I've seen. No up front core charge, and it seems like free shipping, but I need to confirm that tomorrow. Even if there is a shipping fee, it's still better than the prices I've gotten from any of the local sources (NAPA, Advanced, AutoZone)

http://www.shop.headsonly.com/JEEP-40-LITER-REBUILT-CYLINDER-HEAD-JEEP-40.htm

ˆˆˆˆˆ Anyone ever deal with these guys? ˆˆˆˆˆ

Thanks!

Cylinder Heads International is where I got my 0331 Tupy.
Shipping to California was $20 with prepaid return shipping for the core.
Heavy duty packaging, head arrived in good condition. Returned core in same box.
One year warranty becomes effective once you return the core.
So far, so good, my XJ is running like a champ, been about six-seven months now since replacing the head.

IMO CHI is good to go and I recommend them based on my experience dealing with them.

Unless its a daily driver or you have to have it fixed in a weekend why not have it rebuilt locally?

Mostly because I haven't found a local shop that has a good reputation. Being a machinist myself, I can spot a hack from a good distance. Most of the local guys I talked to fit that description. I'd do the work myself, but the machine shop I work in isn't tooled up for that type of work, we make custom window frames, totally different animal.

Also through some investigation The CHI guys mentioned above have a good rep and come in around $100 under every other quote I've gotten (Reman or Rebuild)

Edelbrock aluminum?

I dont want to **** it up with all kinds of aftermarket hop up stuff. I'm looking for the most reliability I can get. Through my experience over the years iv'e found that aluminum heads on iron blocks equals regular head gasket problems. Different expansion rates just smears the head gasket over time. Besides the 4.0 HO has plenty of oomph! Running on 5 cylinders, this thing feels like it has more balls than my 05 Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 4.6 V8!

It's sad that you have to replace the head because no local shop has the skills or desire to properly go through it.

You may find someone by posting the question in the North Atlantic Chapter.

It's sad that you have to replace the head because no local shop has the skills or desire to properly go through it.

You may find someone by posting the question in the North Atlantic Chapter.

I did.... 125 views 0 replies. I'm ok with swapping the head. It actually makes my life easier vs. having the jeep torn apart for days running back and forth to whatever shop. The "New" head will be super clean and warrantied. I can be in and out in a day and back on the road again. I throw the dirty old head back in the box, tape it up and away it goes on the big brown truck. AND it's way less expensive than all of the other options I've seen so far.

Back