• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 mj project truck, good parts "FEELER"

jeepmike889

NAXJA Forum User
I'm throwing this out here to see what kind of interest I can get.

I bought this as a big project truck from big hank (gene mj) a few years back, and over the years have made some progress with it, I've had it out wheeling a few times but not nearly as much as Id like to.

the basic info is this.
-350 chevy motor with rebuilt quadrajet, cam, roller rockers, port/polish and a -few other goodies. less than 500 miles I would imagine.
-sm420 transmission with parts mike hydraulic clutch setup
-chevy np205 t-case, less than 1500 miles since rebuilt
-I just finished putting a kingpin dana 60 front under it and stretched the wheelbase forward for a better driveshaft angle. It has a rear dana 60 also, with disc brake conversion, I can also throw in a 14 bolt rear with an expensive disk brake conversion also. 60/14 bolt have basic trusses on them.
-tom woods driveshafts front/rear. rear has all 1410 u joints, front is 1350/1310 joints, and is brand new.
-rear mounted radiator from a 95 1/2 ton dodge truck. temp is always under 200 degrees.
-has psc hydro assist steering box with 4 bolts, no problem turning 38's.
-summit fuel cell, and msd electric pump with summit regulator. also braided fuel hose.
-many more odds and ends that I can't even remember.
-interior is basic, steel dash with military style switches and push button start. newer cherokee seats.

the drivetrain in this jeep is extremely solid. but it needs some work to be finished up.
I have new front shocks but they need to be mounted somehow, the clutch burned out on the last trip, so it needs a new clutch. power steering squeeks, not sure why, I think the pump might be underpowered, but who knows. probly an easy fix. its got a stock chevy power steering pump in it. the body is rough, but there is little rust. the unibody was undercoated and cleans up fairly nicely. I just narrowed the front end, grill and fenders are angled in. and it needs some hood latches fabbed up. limit straps or a steel plate to stop the front shackles from "inverting" will also need to be added. and the carb needs to be tuned in a little better, its been running rich since I put it in, but hasn't bothered me too much.

could be a good winter project for someone, Im a fulltime college student with little funds to put towards this anymore. I also cannot use it enough since I am 6 hours away from the jeep most of the year. I had it out one time this summer. its a very unique rig that turns heads where ever you go, and is a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

heres a few old pics before the front dana 60 and narrowed front end.

before the 60 front/ narrowed front end

035.jpg

032.jpg

14bolt/ dana 60 axles from a cucv

100_1338.jpg

before the trip last month, with the stretch job, front end narrowed, f 60 etc...

100_1362.jpg

shoot me some offers and maybe some trades, not sure. I just want to get an idea of what this may be worth. thanks for looking

Mike I'm very interested! Can you text me some more pics to my cell 815 222 9409 but if you cant to a cell then to my email [email protected]
How streetable is this rig and how big is the bed? Never had a MJ and a wheeler/mall crawler, ability to have a bed to carry stuff better then in my ZJ bed would be nice too. This would be my secondary Jeep to wheel and drive around town I'm not expecting a daily driver long drive commuter. :laugh3:

I pm'd you on Pirate too. I got 5 Jeeps currently, my 98' 2dr xj will probably be sold by this time tomorrow though. Please let me know if we can work out a deal. thanks...Troy ;)

this truck is pretty far from street legal right now. I have a clean title, but there is not turn signals/ brake lights, its on fullwidths so you would need some wider fenders for it. I suppose it could be made street legal with enough work, but it is an offroad only rig right now.

I'll text you a few more pics right now.

Back