• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need XJ Price

mrfoo84

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ I recently bought as a project vehichle. I just found out my wife and I have a little one on the way and therefore I have no money to work on it, and I need to sell it. Of course I want to make as much off of it as I can. I know this is an OEM tech forum but I don't have permission to post in Classified ads. I am a shade tree mechanic and have a small bit of knowledge but this is what I can tell you about it. I think it is a Limited, 4x4, engine and gas tank skid, towing package w/ trans cooler, heated leather seats (may or may not work), overhead console that tells direction and outside temp, full size spare, full time 4wd, no extra mods from what I can tell. The started and alternator were replaced about a year ago I believe. The engine starts up with no problem. I am in Alabama but this car appears to have come from Ohio so there is a bit of rust damage. I also found a plug in the engine compartment which I assume was a block heater. As for issues, it does have some minor body damage. When I bought it, the drivetrain roars. I assume the rear axle is bad but again I don't have a way to know for sure. I was going to replace the U-joints on the rear DS but sheared off the bolts holding the strap down on the yoke. Currently I move it around the yard to cut grass with part time FWD. The previous owner had an oil change done at Express. I have not changed any fluids. It also doesn't appear to leak anything but maybe a bit of engine oil. The front power windows don't work but I think it is in the switch. I took the door panel off the drivers with and messed with the switch and got it to temporarily work. The AC probably doesn't work either. It blows but just not cold. I think that covers the major highlights. I had a guy who said he would pay me $1600 but he hasn't called back. I would like to get $2500 but that should give a bit of wiggle room. So if you have made it through this post, what do you think I should try and see it for or are you interested?:) Thanks in advance.
ULnGGsCxLK7CpB3Z8

https://goo.gl/photos/ULnGGsCxLK7CpB3Z8
I believe this link will show the pictures of it.

Man I hate to say it but it probably not going to be worth a lot in that condition.
The rear axel probably being bad and the drive shaft shearing off the (easiest fix is a junk yard axel cause you have to replace the yoke on the old one just pull the axel and be done. )
Rust is the other issue. Depending where it's at it may eventually kill the jeep. Honestly rust is scares me more than all the other conditions, no ac, power windows acting up, rear axel, ah no big deal fix those over a weekend, rust on the other hand can eat the jeep faster than it can be fixed.
Maybe get a few picture of the rust, if it's not in critical areas or just floor pans and not the frame it might not be a big deal.

On the good side it's a limited or loaded Cherokee, interior option folks are always looking to upgrade their interior with better factory options.
Full time 4x4? That would be a 242 transfer case . Those can be worth something to the right buyer too . Maybe get a picture of the transfer case shifter.

Not sure what the milage is but On the whole as parts the engine, transmission and transfer case are always worth something

Oh look up the 0331 cylinder head problems, if your is fixed with a TUPY head that'll be worth something too.

$1600 isn't a bad offer, well may not be for a clean titled XJ in this condition. As a hunting vehicle or parts for a project, but there are so many XJ out there that owners just want to get rid of it hurts reselling.
Sorry to be a downer, for a guy like me I look at vehicles as what the are worth to me driving and what it take to fix them vs blue book and trade in values. Retail market isn't my thing so I may be completely wrong about value. (You can probably tell since I start listing the good parts and not stuff like tinted windows, aluminum wheels and premium package like on those value check lists)

Where abouts in Alabama are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on the little one!

I've bought and sold many cars in the Dallas area-- I'd price it at 1500 firm given the current issues- and cross your fingers for the fellow with $1600. Lots of value there still.

Yeah, I'd say between 1200 and 2000.

I got my 96 Country a few years ago, no body rust but some frame rust, 116k miles for $2900. Only thing that didn't work as AC (hole in condenser). No drive ability issues. Perfect paint and interior.

Have a family friend that sold her 00 for 1200 with a cracked head.

Man I hate to say it but it probably not going to be worth a lot in that condition.
The rear axel probably being bad and the drive shaft shearing off

On the good side it's a limited or loaded Cherokee, interior option folks are always looking to upgrade their interior with better factory options.

Full time 4x4? That would be a 242 transfer case . Those can be worth something to the right buyer too . Maybe get a picture of the transfer case shifter.

Oh look up the 0331 cylinder head problems, if your is fixed with a TUPY head that'll be worth something too.

He said the strap bolts sheared off...not the shaft

He said the strap bolts sheared off...not the shaft

Probably when the dog ear on the yoke broke, the straps only hold for a little while. I've been through several and the various fixes on the Dana 35 this is usually how it breaks free. In this case instead of trying to fix the yoke be it severed bolts for the straps or a new yoke the easiest and cheapest is a sub $200 axel and new ujoints on the drive shaft if it's still serviceable .
I wouldn't want to tell him to throw money at this jeep in hopes of a slightly better price, but on the other hand driving is better than not.
I hope he writes back and he is able to get the money he wanted.

The rear axel probably being bad and the drive shaft shearing off the (easiest fix is a junk yard axel cause you have to replace the yoke on the old one just pull the axel and be done. )

Replacing the axle was my initial plan but I never found a good one in the junkyard.

Rust is the other issue. Depending where it's at it may eventually kill the jeep. Honestly rust is scares me more than all the other conditions, no ac, power windows acting up, rear axel, ah no big deal fix those over a weekend, rust on the other hand can eat the jeep faster than it can be fixed.
Maybe get a few picture of the rust, if it's not in critical areas or just floor pans and not the frame it might not be a big deal.

I don't think the rust is that bad. I have see vehicles with much worse rust issues than this one but I am no expert

I forgot that picture but it does have full time and part time 4wd.

Not sure what the milage is but On the whole as parts the engine, transmission and transfer case are always worth something

175k mileage

$1600 isn't a bad offer, well may not be for a clean titled XJ in this condition. As a hunting vehicle or parts for a project, but there are so many XJ out there that owners just want to get rid of it hurts reselling.
Sorry to be a downer, for a guy like me I look at vehicles as what the are worth to me driving and what it take to fix them vs blue book and trade in values. Retail market isn't my thing so I may be completely wrong about value. (You can probably tell since I start listing the good parts and not stuff like tinted windows, aluminum wheels and premium package like on those value check lists)

I figured about the same, it would be a good vehicle for the woods and someone who has a bit of time and $ to fix the essentials.

Where abouts in Alabama are you?

I am in Mccalla which is outside of B'ham.

At this point, I don't want to spend money on fixing it. I was hoping for a few minor fixes and a quick profit to fix up my 98 that was my DD from 2001 to 2012 XJ:repair:

I did add a few more photos of the engine and undercarriage but it seems like the consensus is $1500-2000. I will update whenever I sell it.

Thanks again

Replacing the axle was my initial plan but I never found a good one in the junkyard.

I don't think the rust is that bad. I have see vehicles with much worse rust issues than this one but I am no expert

I forgot that picture but it does have full time and part time 4wd.

175k mileage

I figured about the same, it would be a good vehicle for the woods and someone who has a bit of time and $ to fix the essentials.

I am in Mccalla which is outside of B'ham.

At this point, I don't want to spend money on fixing it. I was hoping for a few minor fixes and a quick profit to fix up my 98 that was my DD from 2001 to 2012 XJ:repair:

I did add a few more photos of the engine and undercarriage but it seems like the consensus is $1500-2000. I will update whenever I sell it.

Thanks again

Couldn't you use the some of the parts from the 01 to fix your 98? Or Vice versa?

Rust didn't look that bad from what I could see on the phone app. More surface rust than cancer.

There were a few junkyards with 3.55 ratio Chrysler 8.25 non abs up that way, not sure which ratio you need. I forgot to identify which axel you have but either way a 8.25 will work.
Milage ain't nothing , the 242 transfer case is a plus too.

Wish We had the free cash to take a punt on it, it'd be perfect project for my nephew, he's 10 and crazy about XJs wants our old 91 they are borrowing as his fist car. Mama ain't going allow that. They live near B'ham too , borrowed our 91 after the snows storms 3-4 years ago almost left the kids stranded at school. They used it during that last ice storm to get to work at the hospital last January-February. Something like that 01 would a nice project to let him work on over the years to earn a vehicle over be given one.

I'll look at the pictures again on the laptop, but first impression is the body is fairly solid to solid, hope you get a good price for it. Damn shame that drive shaft went out, it be nice to say runs and drives to get a few more pennies out of it.

I bought the 00 from a friend who needed to get rid of it. I thought I would pull the axle from it and use it on the 98 but found out quickly that wouldn't work. I will pull the skid plates and use them, maybe the hitch too. I only have a class 2 on the 98. I have been to pull a part a few times but I still haven't found an axle I trust. Plus I don't really know how to find out if it is good without noticible or visible damage. There is a Jeep junkyard across town that said they would sell a d35 for 350 with a 90 day warranty over a year ago. Once I sell the 00 and get a few bucks saved, I will probably see what axle options they have. They replaced the engine in the 98 back in 08 so I feel that may be the safest bet.
I have
I like that 2nd idea. I still see a lot of nice stock 4x4 XJ's on the road. Maybe I can snag one in a few years for my kid to build up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1600 is great offer for a non drivable xj with a bad bearing in the rear axle.

$1600 really -- Take it and run

I paid $200 for mine -- only rust I can find is a small spot on passenger floor and under the battery tray

One I bought needed a Head -- 0331 not cracked but stuck valve -- I came across a killer deal on a whole motor $350 with 27,000 miles and just swapped that in

If someone offered you $1600 and comes back sell it - I think $2500 is insane for the condition you describe

Here's my experience with buying a used XJ in your neck of the woods. I just bought mine a week ago Saturday. I've been looking for weeks. I paid $1500 for my 1992 XJ 4wd....AND a clear title. You wouldn't believe the number of XJ's with no title. It has a small dent in the rear driver side, but otherwise in FANTASTIC condition. Little to no rust and runs great. The guy owned it since 1993. Interior is in great shape considering the age. I missed a 1996 XJ in Hayden, Al for $1500... 4wd as well. It was in fantastic shape. I have another one I bought running/driving 4.5 lift kit... woods toy for $500. No doors or title. But runs great.

This is just my opinion........I hate to say it, but if you can get $1600 for it...I'd take it in now. With the rust and rear axle condition, I think $500-700 is what it sells for. You could probably part it for more $$$$. But I've seen numerous XJ's running with no problems in the $1500-2000 range..with little to no rust. Some of those in your model range. The rust and rear axle hurt it in my opinion....especially in Alabama. I would have walked seeing the rust holes underneath it. I would have only considered yours to use as parts for another Cherokee. I've seen several needing a motor for $500 around here.

Good luck man..I hope you get it sold.

I agree with the majority. Take $1600 if you can get it and don't look back. When I read Thur first post - before reading any responses - my first thought was $5-700 tops.

Also, $350 for a rear axle is outrageously expensive. I got my 8.8 from a yard here in Nashville for $150.

As a follow up to this post, I never put it up for sale but I randomly had a guy stop by yesterday and buy it for $1200. Hated to see it go but hopefully she will get fixed up and ride again!!

Back