• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name That Sound :)

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
Im really clogging up the forum with questions lately so Im sorry about that. But I have something that Has been bothering me lately. I have this little clunking sound that has been going on for a few months now. The time it can most easily occur is for example if you are at a stop sign and about to make a turn and need to do so with moderate acceleration. Im not sure I have ever heard it during strait line accel. It also normally starts just as nicely as it did in the warm start included in the video but since the noise started it cranks about 6 times before starting. Outside of that noise that happens in the mentioned specific conditions and the strange starting habit I have no issues. Idles so smooth the needle doesnt move, no loss of power or misfires. I have supplied a link to a video I made today that contains two examples of this sound as well as an example of it not making it in a strait line and an open hood visual. This engine is in phenomenal despite the paint its actually only been in the vehicle for 10k and had a resurfaced/valve job head with 0630 put in a few thousand miles ago. Done properly with new head bolts and all.
PLEASE WATCH IN HD WITH QUALITY SPEAKERS OR SOUND SYSTEM
https://youtu.be/z8X5X9NQtdw

Is it possible that the mech fan is contacting the shroud. I had a similar sound when my shroud became cracked and when the engine moved a bit to the right (as when turning left) it just barely hit the fan shroud and made a similar noise.

That's all I got.

Both of these are likely. Although oddly enough I have not been able to make it happen since I seafoamed it yesterday. Im sure if I try I could manipulate it. Just happy its nothing major or so it seems

Back