• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think I Killed My Oil Filter Adapter

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone confirm that the base my oil filter adapter (the part that the bold head rests against) should be welded/fixed to the bolt head and not rotate around the bolt. Watched about 3 Qts on oil shoot onto my garage floor after replacing the seals. I think I broke the base away from the bolt in trying to torque the bolt.

Is there a source for a new oil adapter? I checked the normal auto parts stores, Rock Auto, and Team Cherokee and none of them listed the adapter.

The bolt is a separate part from the adapter. Sounds like the o-rings were not replaced correctly. There are 3 o-rings total. One between the adapter and block and two on the bolt.

Yes, but to be more clear (if I wasn't in my previous post), is the base - the part that presses against the mid-sized o-ring - fixed to the bolt, or should it spin freely around the bolt (like a washer next to the hex head)?

Can the bolt be acquired without the adapter body?

They are separate pieces. It is not a press fit, so yes the bolt will turn inside the adapter. It won't turn freely because of the o-ring interference. You locate the adapter and then tighten the bolt.

Bolt 53020237
Oil Filter adapter 53020080
O-ring kit 33002972

For clarification as to the RENIX type of oil filter adapter bolt I'm trying to refer to, please look at the second picture of the first post in this thread.

It is the round flange underneath (or on top of in the picture) the hex bolt that I believe may be loose from the bolt shaft. Does anyone have a part number and source for this type of bolt? Can the parts referenced by md21722 be used to replace the RENIX style oil filter adapter?

53009070 is the part number for the bolt from a 1990. It isn't clear what the problem is though. It seems like you either tore an o-ring that needs to be replaced, or cracked the mount? Or put something back together wrong.

I will pull everything apart later today or tomorrow to see exactly what the problem is. However, on initial inspection (using a light & mirror), it appears that the oil was flowing out from between the actually hex head bolt and the flange that the hex head rests against. There does not appear to be any leaks from around any of the seals I replaced. The picture in the linked thread appears to indicate that the bolt and flange should essentially be one piece. My concern is that I may have over torqued the hex head causing the flange to break away from the bolt and cause a seam between the bolt and flange allowing the oil to escape. If so, then I will need a new bolt or whole adapter assembly.

My 88 parts books shows 3300 2700 as the part number. The Mopar Overstock site shows no longer available.

The Hex head and flange are one piece. I can't imagine how you might have cracked it. Please post pics with you get it apart.

I have extra parts here in Golden.

If you are not in a hurry I can probably act as a middle man to get the parts to the Springs. I have to get up to Golden to loads Mike's scrap trailer pretty soon. Mike are you home tomorrow? :D

My suspicions are confirmed. I got the oil adapter off of the XJ this afternoon and confirmed that it was not the seals that failed, but I did in fact over torque the bolt to where it bent in concave fashion against the sealing surface until the flange broke away from the bolt. So, when I started the engine, oil blew right past the gap where the flange broke away from the bolt.

A big thanks to Hypoid for offering up a spare oil adapter and bolt, which allowed me compare old to new(er). Let's see if I can figure out how to attach some pics that might show the damage.

=146523919&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=2

=146523919&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=1

In the first picture, you can clearly see where the flange broke away from the bolt (nice shiny ring next to the bolt head) on the original bolt on the left. The replacement bolt provided by Hypoid is on the right. In the second picture, you can see that the bolt provided by Hypoid (pictured on the left) has a much larger hex head that sits flush to the flange. It appears the original bolt may have had about a 1/8" gap between the flange and hex head, as the hex head is about that much smaller. This may have allowed the flange to break away from the bolt. No more Wheaties for me! :eek:

Went ahead and ordered new seals for the install of the new adapter just to be on the safe side.

[Edit] Not sure why the photos aren't showing up. I'll try linking to a web site.

Last edited:
Yup, no more Wheaties for you!!! :D

IMG_1069_zpsz2fqlpys.jpg

IMG_1070_zpsgwyqhbgy.jpg

Back