• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry flaky...?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes it works from halfway from the front door; sometimes I pretty much need to point it through the window at the dome light; sometimes like this morning it doesn't work at all and I have to use the key to get in.

How long do you guys usually get from a pair of batteries?

Is there a common problem that could make this intermittent?

I'll take a stab at this. My XJ doesn't have that feature, but my Toyota RAV4 does have it. I get those exact same symptoms when the battery is getting low. We get about one year from the battery.

Let us know how it goes.

I've got the same problem, changing the batteries didn't do anything.

Seems like there is something bad with the fob, when it doesn't work I give it a couple sharp smacks and it'll work again.

I will probably just cut to the chase and put in something aftermarket, like a door lock/unlock & alarm combo or something.

I've got the same problem, changing the batteries didn't do anything.

Seems like there is something bad with the fob, when it doesn't work I give it a couple sharp smacks and it'll work again.

I will probably just cut to the chase and put in something aftermarket, like a door lock/unlock & alarm combo or something.

I'll have to try that. If it works, I'll bend the battery contacts for more tension. It's actually been working fine since my original post, but the morning I posted I had to use the key to get in, even standing right by the driver's door and holding the fob by the window didn't work. I don't think it's dirty buttons because when I got it the batteries were dead; I bought an aftermarket replacement case along with the batteries and swapped the button thing from the aftermarket case into the original because the original was so worn you couldn't see which was "lock" and which was "unlock."

Usually if you pull apart a key fob, if you look at the rubber buttons, where they meet the circuit board, they have a conductive coating. That coating tends to wear off, then you'll have a flaky key fob, requiring several mashes of the keypad, or other funky tricks to work.

Back