• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ ~ worst cup holders ever

victorfranko

NAXJA Forum User
Bought my first XJ this past August and I've got it almost where I want it, still waiting to accumulate the funds for a rear bumper/tire carrier.

One thing is annoying the heck out of me........

The built in cup holders in the center dash are pathetic, won't even hold a bottle of water without the bottle tipping over on a smooth, even pavement road.
Were there supposed to be inserts in the molded cup holders that were gone by the time I adopted this XJ? If so, I can't find any reference to them anywhere.

Has anyone found inserts that work with these molded cup holders?
Maybe modified inserts from another vehicle?

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!

There are not any inserts for them factory. I'd troll the local pick and pull to see what you can mate up if you are having issues.

My 2000 holds any and every cup that I have put in it just fine. My RTIC water bottle is a tight fit. I even have those coaster stones in them so cups sit higher.

Mine came with some inserts when I bought it, but that was 17yrs ago so I didn't ask anything about them! The one insert I did have to buy was the ashtray!

Do keep in mind that you are driving the latest and greatest in 1980's automotive technology. The original XJ Cherokee had no cup holders at all.

Do keep in mind that you are driving the latest and greatest in 1980's automotive technology. The original XJ Cherokee had no cup holders at all.

I bought the 2000 because I thought it would be at least 1990's technology :(

First thing my wife complains about every time she gets in my 96 xj. "I hate these cup holders!"

Smart woman!

Dorman makes these, guess I'll bite the bullet and buy one to see if it comes close to fitting if no one steps up with something better or known to work.

b7ad81f4-6258-4f90-b4e1-57c146c840bd_1.73b7395004b7ace845b0c774e3f7549b.jpeg

And the cupbholders you can get for the pre 97 xj's are horrible if you have a 5 speed.

They are horrible with anything. I've got a 99 console I'll be putting in my 85, used to wedge a large during between me and the center console, that was the only way to transport a drink.

There was one other factory option that had the cup holder off to the passenger side of the center console instead of by the parking brake/ shifter . Never seen one in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are horrible with anything. I've got a 99 console I'll be putting in my 85, used to wedge a large during between me and the center console, that was the only way to transport a drink.

There was one other factory option that had the cup holder off to the passenger side of the center console instead of by the parking brake/ shifter . Never seen one in real life.

You mean like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371878442538?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got the Omx one that goes in front of the armrest and over the parking brake lever. It looks nice but it sucks too. The cup Pockets are way too shallow.

You mean like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371878442538?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I got the Omx one that goes in front of the armrest and over the parking brake lever. It looks nice but it sucks too. The cup Pockets are way too shallow.

Yep that's it. I was surprised to find a picture of it in the last year cause I never knew it existed, after I dunno how many different junk yards I've picked over I've never seen that cup holder. Probably means it sucked too.

The over the brake lever solution is just enough to spill the drinks at a turn.

Ha! I have a 2000 and HATE the cup holders.. I buy a hot coffee in the morning and have to keep my hand on it at all times or it will just end up tipping over.

Hello from Colorado... I'm from Moorpark originally. :wave1:

Ha! I have a 2000 and HATE the cup holders.. I buy a hot coffee in the morning and have to keep my hand on it at all times or it will just end up tipping over.

Hello from Colorado... I'm from Moorpark originally. :wave1:

I've worked in Moorpark for 26 years!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that dislikes the cup holder situation.
If I figure out anything that works I'll be sure to PM you.

Hey, I've had a 92 and have a 96 XJ so at least you 97+ guys HAVE actual factory cup holders. For the early XJ's you have a console side mounted cup holder that constantly falls off and parts break off and then the one that mounts over the hand brake. It works but only marginally. I would only add, that I wouldn't buy an XJ based on whether or not it had factory cup holders or not. I love my 96. The XJ is really late 60's automotive engineering in a late 20th, early 21st century vehicle world. The 97+ refinements were just added to keep it going for a few more years. You just have to live with it.

For my 2001, I looked around and found a Thermos cup that fits perfectly.
If cup holders were a major consideration, I would have bought a Honda CRV instead of a Cherokee.

The back one holds a can alright on smooth roads. Now when ya get a. It crazy for a 2.5 inch lift and almost roll over it doesn't hold anything.

Back