• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door trigger polarity for alarm

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
this will be my 3rd alarm install
I have my new compustar alarm/remote start all hooked up.
the last thing I am struggling to confirm is whether the door triggers on a 92 Cherokee are + or -

from my understanding it depends which order the parts are arranged in. for the door lock.

can anyone confirm for me if the door unlock/lock is a + or - line ?

I am finding conflicting information online.
some sites say its a - trigger.
others say its +

any clarification on this would be great so I don't have to pull panels apart to confirm how things are wired.

The bulbs always have +12volts to them. The door switch connects the other side of the bulb to ground when the door is opened.

So if you connect the sense line to the door switch (on the bulb side) it will see +12volts with the door shut, and drop to zero when the door is opened. I think that would be considered a - trigger, but you'd need to look at the alarm docs to see if it agrees with that definition.

Going by that video, then yes it's negative triggered (ie , the control/switch/transistor is on the negative side of the device being activated).

It should be a negative trigger. It's been a while since I've done a cherokee but a lot of Chrysler vehicles of that era use what's called a MUX wire meaning the it is negative trigger through a specific resistance.

Scratch that, I thought the op said 98 not a 92. Yellow wire at the under dash light, negative trigger, no resistance weirdness.

After I go and tear things open I come back to read this.
Definitely negative.
Thanks guys. this post may help someone in the future.

Back