• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No high or low beams, high beam light stays lit

billyjp2

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ. Just picked this jeep up, DS light worked fine, passenger light was dim with 1/4" of water inside the sealed beam. I replaced the PS light and now neither headlights (high or low) work. When you pull the headlight switch, the high beam indicator on the dash comes on. Marker lights and blinkers work fine.

I know headlights are a popular topic on here, but I haven't seen anything yet that matched my symptoms.

No symptoms that match, but the basic diagnostic procedures remain the same. Check for blown fuses and/or sticky relays. Use your volts ohms multi-meter to test for +12 volts power and continuity to ground in the headlamp plugs. Refresh ground connections. Move up the wire harness to the header panel wire harness plug, inspect for corrosion and pushed back wire plug pins, inspect for failed wire splices, and test for +12 volts power and for continuity to the headlamp plugs. Test for +12 volts power and/or continuity to ground at the headlight switch, look, feel, and smell for chafed/melted wire insulation.

Headlamp switch failure is somewhat common.

Back