• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting mixed answers about AC repair

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
on my 92 xj. the ac has never worked.
system holds pressure.
turning it on. clutch engages and disengages. so the electronics work.
What I remember.
in 2007~ r12 was drained and was charged with propane.
did not blow cold. guessed compressor was bad.
drained and left empty.
10 years later. 2017 refilled with r12 and oil. still holds pressure.

so.
not really too familiar with A/C to say myself

People are telling me since the compressor might be dead and I should replace the evap core because its probly full of shards. along with the entire system

Makes sense right ?

been slowly planning on doing this.
Got an expansion valve and a dryer.
need a compressor still.
my friend whos a pretty reliable mechanic tells me just to drain the system. and throw the new parts on. telling me the evap is fine.

just do not want to trash my new compressor. but equally if I can drain flush and fill the system and be fine it would be nice.

input would be awesome.

particles are unlikely to be in the evaporator core, most likely to be in the condenser (in front of radiator) or the filter/drier. some of the compressor warranties require you to replace both. rockauto sells kits with all three.

particles are unlikely to be in the evaporator core, most likely to be in the condenser (in front of radiator) or the filter/drier. some of the compressor warranties require you to replace both. rockauto sells kits with all three.

thanks for the input.

Back