• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace or Rebuild?

old88xj

NAXJA Forum User
There has been several postings as to my motor woes. Scarred crank, spun rod bearing, several spun main bearings. Along with some blow by.

My question is what would you guys do? Replace the crank and spun bearings and deal with the blow by later? Replace the motor? or pull the motor and have it rebuilt at a machine shop? I have never had to deal with this before, and it doesn't have to be a daily driver so time is not of the essence. I am some what mechanically inclined but not to the point of doing the crank job myself. crank job at a shop comes in at the price of $1300. Where as i can get a Recon motor for $920 an have it installed for $400, and have not priced a rebuild yet. But was looking for some good opinions
BTW 88 4.0 auto 115K

TIA
Daniel

So, pretty much what you're saying it that every major engine component that you have (crank, rods, pistons, rings, etc....) is crap! I don't see how this is still a question.

If you have to replace/refurbish EVERYTHING, just find the cheapest route and DO IT! If the cheapest route is a new motor, do it. If the cheapest route is a total rebuild, do it.

Bad compression sucks! Reduced power, increased emissions, increased fuel consumption, and burning oil are all CRAP to live with. As long as the engine comes out, do it right and fix the tired old top end.

Having an engine that runs like a top is great. So is the confidence that comes with knowing your engine isn't going to blow up sometime soon. I say that fixing it top to bottom is the only way to go!

Back