• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Cat

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a new cat for my 96. It has the 02 sensor in the cat and I live in CA. Would'nt THIS be the one I need? Thanks for your time.

-Mike

i am pretty sure that one is not odbII smog legal in ca. try autozone my friend got one for his 96 5.2 for 120$. 96 and up cats are more expensive and have tighter restrictions on emmisions.

Mike L said:
I need to get a new cat for my 96. It has the 02 sensor in the cat and I live in CA. Would'nt THIS be the one I need? Thanks for your time.

-Mike

The downstream sensor measures total catalyst efficiency. If you're getting a smaller cat than the OEM (which isn't that hard,) you can probably get away with having an exhaust shop weld a HEGO sensor bung (they're available) into the extension pipe you'll need.

OBD-II requires a downstream HEGO sensor - but all that it specifies is that it's after the catalyst. I've known quite a few people to use just that solution (weld bung in the extension pipe) and not have trouble passing the Smog nazis...

5-90

Nor is the in/out pipes the right length.

Check SummitRacing, they have Magnaflow Direct Replacement Catalytic Converters for about $69. Thats for my '95, which '96 is when OBDII came into existance and thus I'm pretty sure the CAT was changed.

Not sure if I have the original CAT or a replacement on my '95, the in/out pipes are rusting away and its been repaired some time in its life, either new pipe clamped in to replace the rusted away pipe or a cheap universal clamped in with extra pipes to make up the difference in length. This set-up is rusted out and I most likely will have to replace the CAT or improvise more with even longer lengths of pipe to make up for it.

I'd get direct fit replacement exhaust parts, NOT universal parts and then try to make them fit. You end up with a crummy fitting and likely leaking exhaust that will rust out much sooner. When you start playing around with the wrong diameter pipes, even larger than OEM, you effect the exhaust flow a lot and that can have bad effects on the engine performance.

Stainless Steel Parts should last 10 years or more, remember stainless steel STILL RUSTS, it just rusts a LOT SLOWER THAN Mild Steel. Spraying down your Stainless Steel Exhaust with WD-40 every once in a while does wonders for lengthing the life of the metal. Mild Steel Exhaust, it may help, but I found nothings seems to stop a Mild Steel Exhaust from rusting out in 3-5 years.

montanaman said:
Another minor point is that the cat you linked to has 2.5" in and out. Stock pipe size for XJ is 2.25"

Inlet on the stock cat is 2.5" and the outlet to the muffler is 2.25"

-Mike

I did find THESE. Any difference between Catco and Magnaflow?

A while ago I replaced the cat with a non OBD2 cat and just had a bung welded into it. The vehicle passed smog fine and it was much shorter than the factory one and was 2.5" in/out. :huh: Just trying to get other thoughts from people and see what they have used as I need to replace my current cat that is beat up and the honeycomb is gone. Thanks.

-Mike

Back