• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242J Imput shaft / cup bearing question.

BondageBear99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I have just joined NAXJA I'm from Queensland Australia, love my XJ and really hope someone can help me on this one...
I have just fitted a master bearing rebuild kit to my 242j along with a new short shaft and new Tom Woods rear drive shaft (to get rid of my hack n tap SYE) but now I can't get 4 hi, all else is good but not 4 hi, it sounds like it's just out and a little grinding noise... It's not a linkage problem as I have tried to engage with no linkage and it's the same result. (The linkage is another very sore point)

I am thinking that I might not have the needle cup bearing pushed in far enough, so my question would be ... Does anyone know A) the correct depth it should be (both inside the case on the plantey gear and outside the case on the transmission shaft) or is there something else I have missed.
B) should there be any movement of the shaft (in and out) when it's all put back together?
Btw on a side note....

I was changing the linkage to the "Azzy's design works but the quality is so bad and he refuses to relate the part that is RUBBISH from new, I will have to make my own... I cannot recommend at all.

I couldn't find a number for mine either so I smeared a dab of grease on the end of the main shaft and kept pushing the cup bearing further down until the grease didn't transfer.

Can you use Full-Time alright? The only difference between Full-Time and 4-High is the position of the rear collar in the differential. I had a problem once where it wouldn't stay in 4-High but worked alright in Full-Time, turned out I had forgotten to install one of the spacer rings on the needle bearings in the differential, giving a couple extra MM of play.

Hiya mate
I can get all but 4 hi ... So 4 low, part time 4 , neutral, 2 hi all good, but no 4 hi, it just grinds a little so I'm really stumped on this mate... I do appreciate you sending a message though.. I'm going to pull it out again and check all measurments , but I'll keep you posted mate.

Back