• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Sending Unit

sams88

NAXJA Member #1263
Got a 96 XJ 4.0 that has a gas guage reading low. Was going to get a new sending unit to put in the gas tank but none of the parts houses around here can find one as the say no one has any... Soooo, are they in fact not being manufactured any more or??? Are there other fuel tank pump sending units that will work in the original fuel tank or what are any recommended options ie new tank, or fuel cell such as brand p/n??? XJ is for wheeling. Thank you for any help. :)

Last edited:
Find a better parts store, or use the web: RockAuto, Amazon, eBay, etc. Most of the big name McDonald's type auto parts store counter guys are friendly, but often are also clueless. I go to the local NAPA, and have been working with Steve the counter guy, who is also a Jeeper, for the last 16 years. If Steve can't find one in the paper catalogs, it doesn't exist.

Not quite that simple... :) NAPA, Baxter, O'rielly's all show a fuel pump for the cherokee but do not list/carry the in tank sending unit. They used to in years past. I don't need the fuel pump, I need the sending unit. The jeep dealer here cannot get one out of the Chrysler parts system, they can only get the fuel pump unit itself that you put in the sending unit assembly. Looking on the web hasn't located on either. Thus the question of whether anyone knows whether there is another sending unit from some other vehicle that can be used. Otherwise given time there's gonna be some unhappy cherokee drivers....

Last edited:
Yup I found that one and came back to post and saw your post on quadratec, lol. Thank you. Anyway, called them and they had only one in stock, $230 bucks for a 96. The 96 is a lone duck all by itself, and the gent said it takes forever for them to get those. So just posting so that anyone else running a 96 XJ knows that they have to get one specifically for a 96. Whatta pain.... used to just be able to head into any parts store and pick one up. I guess that's the way it goes for aging vehicles. :)

I have one with a walbro 255lph pump if you didn't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back