• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 4.0 "Gift Wrapped"

Mike in NJ

NAXJA Life Member
NAXJA Member
Not exactly sure how to lay this out, but here goes:

1996 4.0 HO 144K miles young - from an UpCountry white 2 door 5 speed. Never wheeled - was a daily driver. Ran just fine until the alternator crapped out after I parked it next to the house in 2015. No starter (that was donated to my '92). AX-15/231 was sold in 2015.

The "Gift Wrapped" part? Well, if you want the motor, you get the whole XJ. Yes, the floorboards are swiss cheese, but the rest of it is fine - especially the doors, glass, hood, lift gate, etc. Axles are only stock 3.07's. Ready to just be rolled away.

Don't have any pics at the moment - not until I can wash it in the spring. But, to be honest, not trying to impress anyone with the body (although the uppers are in good shape) the value here is the engine itself- any other parts you can scavenge is a bonus.

Just want to move it along - would hate to just turn it over to a junk yard, but I need to get it out of here. The engine is certainly worthwhile for anyone who needs to replace a tired 4.0. Of the 5 XJ's I've owned (including my '92 workhorse), this one always ran the strongest with no issues (e.g. oil leaks, cracked manifolds, etc.).

Price - thinking around $300 for the package. Like I said, just roll it away!

I'm in Hunterdon County NJ

Mike in NJ

1996 4.0 HO 144K miles young - from an UpCountry white 2 door 5 speed. Never wheeled - was a daily driver. Ran just fine until the alternator crapped out after I parked it next to the house in 2015. No starter (that was donated to my '92). AX-15/231 was sold in 2015.

The "Gift Wrapped" part? Well, if you want the motor, you get the whole XJ. Yes, the floorboards are swiss cheese, but the rest of it is fine - especially the doors, glass, hood, lift gate, etc. Axles are only stock 3.07's. Ready to just be rolled away.

Don't have any pics at the moment - not until I can wash it in the spring. But, to be honest, not trying to impress anyone with the body (although the uppers are in good shape) the value here is the engine itself- any other parts you can scavenge is a bonus.

Just want to move it along - would hate to just turn it over to a junk yard, but I need to get it out of here. The engine is certainly worthwhile for anyone who needs to replace a tired 4.0. Of the 5 XJ's I've owned (including my '92 workhorse), this one always ran the strongest with no issues (e.g. oil leaks, cracked manifolds, etc.).

Mike in NJ

Talk about coming out of the woodwork! That sounds tempting... and I'm not too far from you now, just on the other side of the Delaware river.

Mike in NJ

Wow, talk about a blast from the past, Hi Mike. Now if you could just talk CHW into coming back around...

Hey Johnny, nice to hear from you as well - funny thing about woodwork - you can't always see what's going on, but the bugs are still there! :wierd:

Anyway, yeah, I'm still around - miss Paragon a LOT and while there's nothing really wrong with Rausch, I just never could get in to it! And I really miss Moab. My red '92 is still kicking, and I'm tempted for the 35th coming up, especially since she was there for the 20th.

The engine I'm trying to unload is from my wife's '96 2 door Up Country. Like I said, the floor is toast, but there was nothing wrong with the motor when I turned it off back in '15. A seized alternator, no starter, and, of course, no trans keeps it parked. But there are plenty of other odds and ends (and upper sheet metal) that could be useful for a tinkerer. That's why I'm offering this package.

So, if you know someone that needs a replacement 4.0 this could be a good deal at $300. Then again, the days of cross country driving are behind Red, so a Moab trek will take some more thought. Since my DD is an '09 Grand Cherokee Hemi, trailering is definitely an option. I would also consider some sort of a trade + cash, to someone who has a reasonable trailer available.

Later,

MG

Last edited:
Andy - great to hear from you as well (didn't see your reply while I was answering Johnny). Just like old times - remember Rifle, CO?

Anyway, I MAY be stirring a bit (need to solve a 231 low range issue on RED first though), we'll keep in touch.

As for CHW, I think we've lost him to the dark side of Vettes. My old BLUE is just parked in his yard in the weeds.

I'll try to hook up with you when the weather clears.

MG

Andy - great to hear from you as well (didn't see your reply while I was answering Johnny). Just like old times - remember Rifle, CO?

Anyway, I MAY be stirring a bit (need to solve a 231 low range issue on RED first though), we'll keep in touch.

As for CHW, I think we've lost him to the dark side of Vettes. My old BLUE is just parked in his yard in the weeds.

I'll try to hook up with you when the weather clears.

MG

Yes, I remember Rifle, Co too well... the sound my rear driveline was making is what my nightmares are made of... :D:D

Sounds good, I think you would enjoy Anthracite Offroad Adventure Area as well, very Paragon-like if you have not done any research on it yet.

how have u been? You should come out in June for a day.

Hi Mike,
Remember that D35 you sold me....well its still going strong in the 87.
get your affairs in order and go to Moab.I was there for the 25th and am already booked for the 35th.
Will be driving the 96 out again....
Wayne

MD, Rob, Wayne:

T'anks for the mem'ries and the encouragement! :wave1:

Real tempting to get RED out again, including Moab, BUT first priority is to move the '96 4.0 (and its "packaging"), c'mon - there's got to be somebody out there that needs a newer powerplant (been almost 18 years since they built any!). 4.0's aren't THAT indestructible. Well, maybe they are - my '92's still going strong at 240K.

MG

Gee- nobody needs an engine? (especially one so attractively packaged!:laugh: )
OK - if $300 is too rich for your blood - make me an offer. :callme:

MG

If only I had a spot for it. And a trailer. mostly want the 2 door doors and interior

Paul,

There MUST be a sand dune or something you could tuck it behind down the Shore! And, nobody in NAC could lend you a trailer for an afternoon? :jester:

The doors are in fine shape (although keep in mind that this is a white XJ, may not match your decor) - I don't need them since I already have a stash of red doors when my '92 requires some. The upholstery is so-so however - been sitting for a few years. Plus, there still is that engine . . .

No serious bites so far, so you still have some time to ponder this. With all the snow still on the horizon here in Jersey, it'll probably be May before I can have it sent to the junkyard in the sky, er . . . woods.

MG

I sure wish this were closer.

Another white '96 that is begging to be turned into a trail rig would fit right in.

Paul,

There MUST be a sand dune or something you could tuck it behind down the Shore! And, nobody in NAC could lend you a trailer for an afternoon? :jester:

The doors are in fine shape (although keep in mind that this is a white XJ, may not match your decor) - I don't need them since I already have a stash of red doors when my '92 requires some. The upholstery is so-so however - been sitting for a few years. Plus, there still is that engine . . .

No serious bites so far, so you still have some time to ponder this. With all the snow still on the horizon here in Jersey, it'll probably be May before I can have it sent to the junkyard in the sky, er . . . woods.

MG

i have a 96 2 door in white.. this thing would be for half doors and some interior parts.. I'm leaving for work tomorrow.. Won't be back for at least 2 weeks. I'll make some calls when I get back and see if I can find someplace to store it.

Hows the rust besides the floors? I wouldn't mind putting this back together and having a non-lifted dd.

Well, other than the floors, the outside sheet metal shows no rust. Can't say what's possibly hiding in the rockers or at the base of the B-column, but other than a dent on the panel behind the passenger door (doesn't affect door closing), and a cracked front clip (rolled into a tree - front brush guard took 95% of hit - no affect on radiator) - it's still clean and in decent shape.

Remember though, although the engine was running just fine when I parked it, currently there is no trans or tcase or starter, and the alternator is frozen.

Didn't expect anyone to actually try to get the whole deal on the road again, but, for anyone with skills, it's probably not a difficult project. I was really just trying to interest somebody in the engine. But hey, we're only talking about $300 or so for reasonable bones

If you're still interested, and aren't too far away in Pennsy, probably your best bet is to come by and take a look. PM me and I'll give directions. of course, give the sun a chance to get rid of the 16" snow base first! :shiver:

Thanks, MG

Back