NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 21:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Fan bearing - replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
Not just yet - I'm still collecting brackets so I can redesign them to accept a serviceable bearing. Thrown away the old one yet?

5-90
No, was hoping to find a way to replace just the bearings......before buying a whole new bracket.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 21:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlejuice
No, was hoping to find a way to replace just the bearings......before buying a whole new bracket.
I can understand that - which is why I'm looking to redesign the thing. Primarily, I want the bearing to be serviceable in the shop. Ideally, I want it to be serviceable in the field... I just need to collect examples, since I'm sure to scrap a few (at least!) in trying to come up with a useful design...

5-90
Old January 3rd, 2007, 21:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I can understand that - which is why I'm looking to redesign the thing. Primarily, I want the bearing to be serviceable in the shop. Ideally, I want it to be serviceable in the field... I just need to collect examples, since I'm sure to scrap a few (at least!) in trying to come up with a useful design...

5-90
Gonna take it into the garage tomorrow and see if we can get it apart. If we arent successful and dont screw it up, you can have it. It still works but I'd hate to put it back on with the bearings in the shape they are.
Old January 4th, 2007, 21:10
NAXJA Forum User

Well, pressing the bearings out didnt go so well........destroyed the bracket. Should have put more thought into it before acting.
Old January 4th, 2007, 21:33
NAXJA Member

I hope you can find one, my local dealer no longer can get it and my bearings are squeling in the mornings on cold start. Post up when you find a new one.
Old January 4th, 2007, 21:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider
I hope you can find one, my local dealer no longer can get it and my bearings are squeling in the mornings on cold start. Post up when you find a new one.
Ill prolly take it off another jeep, but I did find it online at the dealer site just posted in the thread about OEM parts. Part number 5300 6548. $85
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:38
NAXJA Forum User

anyone figure this out yet? getting ready to pull mine apart. not sure if mine is the same setup though. ive got a 00' and dealer is telling me that their is no bearing in the a/c mount. suppose i gotta pull it apart anyway to see what is going on.
Old January 29th, 2007, 13:03
NAXJA Member #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsill
anyone figure this out yet? getting ready to pull mine apart. not sure if mine is the same setup though. ive got a 00' and dealer is telling me that their is no bearing in the a/c mount. suppose i gotta pull it apart anyway to see what is going on.
I just replaced mine (99) with a junkyard one. There's a bearing in it all right, but that sucker is pressed in TIGHT! The shaft is open from behind, and you can see a bearing in there. I whacked at it some and got nowhere. The bracket itself is a very funny shape, making it hard to figure out how to hold it for pressing. I imagine you'd have to make a bracket to hold the bracket, and then you might be able to press out the shaft from behind, but it would take some doing. I still have hopes of figuring out something, but I don't have a press (yet.....hmmmm....do you think I need a press?).
Old January 29th, 2007, 13:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Currie
I just replaced mine (99) with a junkyard one. There's a bearing in it all right, but that sucker is pressed in TIGHT! The shaft is open from behind, and you can see a bearing in there. I whacked at it some and got nowhere. The bracket itself is a very funny shape, making it hard to figure out how to hold it for pressing. I imagine you'd have to make a bracket to hold the bracket, and then you might be able to press out the shaft from behind, but it would take some doing. I still have hopes of figuring out something, but I don't have a press (yet.....hmmmm....do you think I need a press?).
Of course you need a press. So do I.

I also need donor parts - how shot up is your old bracket? Can I still figure out mounting points, screw holes, and the bearing location from it?
Old January 29th, 2007, 16:31
NAXJA Member #760

Quote:
Of course you need a press. So do I.

I also need donor parts - how shot up is your old bracket? Can I still figure out mounting points, screw holes, and the bearing location from it?
It isn't shot up at all.... yet. Only a little chip in a casting rib so far. It just has a slightly bad bearing, which I have not yet given up on trying to press out (if I can find/make/borrow/steal a press). I have a lot of hydraulic resources, but so far haven't come up with a frame. Nothing personal, but I plan to keep it at least for a while.
Old January 29th, 2007, 20:39
NAXJA Member

My dealer found me a new one for the 90', it was on a dealer shelf in the mid-west somewhere. $85 and its good to go another 17 years. I've got a press so I will try getting the old bearings/shaft out of the old bracket. I'll post a write up and pics as soon as I have time to give it a shot.
Old February 11th, 2007, 21:00
NAXJA Forum User

The bearing in the cast aluminum A/C bracket can be replaced. If you have a hydralic bench press and the proper spacers you can easily press out the old
shaft and bearing. It seats up against a shoulder so be sure to press it out the back. You'll find that the shaft has a pressed on caged ball bearing
assembly and another roller bearing assembly (about an inch wide) that is
manufactured as a unit. Usually the shaft of the new unit is a little longer than the original and can be cut off to length. The bearing/shaft assembly is referred to as a "water pump shaft bearing" and if you have it with you when
you go into a mechanical power transmission /bearing supply they should be able to match it up. I have done this swap a few years ago but can't find the
receipt to give you the bearing part #. It cost about $45. Cdn.
Old January 20th, 2008, 14:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1
The bearing in the cast aluminum A/C bracket can be replaced. If you have a hydralic bench press and the proper spacers you can easily press out the old
shaft and bearing. It seats up against a shoulder so be sure to press it out the back. You'll find that the shaft has a pressed on caged ball bearing
assembly and another roller bearing assembly (about an inch wide) that is
manufactured as a unit. Usually the shaft of the new unit is a little longer than the original and can be cut off to length. The bearing/shaft assembly is referred to as a "water pump shaft bearing" and if you have it with you when
you go into a mechanical power transmission /bearing supply they should be able to match it up. I have done this swap a few years ago but can't find the
receipt to give you the bearing part #. It cost about $45. Cdn.
Old January 20th, 2008, 14:53
NAXJA Forum User

As per my last note here.....i found the invoice from Motion Industries, Inc
and the shaft is a NSK brand "integral shaft bearing" #885586.
Motion Industries is a USA company and has a web site. I paid $31.00 cdn
in 2004 at the local branch.
Old January 20th, 2008, 18:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1
As per my last note here.....i found the invoice from Motion Industries, Inc
and the shaft is a NSK brand "integral shaft bearing" #885586.
Motion Industries is a USA company and has a web site. I paid $31.00 cdn
in 2004 at the local branch.
Cool - so is that part number for just the bearings, or a bearing and shaft assembly? Also, how large a press did you need (if it was over a half-ton, I'd be surprised - but I've been surprised before...)