NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 9th, 2017, 06:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re: New fuel pump, new regulator, still has fuel pressure issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The 30 psi is about right.

The leaking down is still not right. But, it is nice to see that you have made progress on that front.

A couple of details regarding that hose. First, make sure it is the correct type of hose. It should be SAE 30R10. If in doubt, you should be able to get that from a Napa auto parts (Linky: http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media...hose.pdf?la=en )

Second, get yourself some fuel injection hose clamps. I don't know that they are generally required inside the tank, but given the situation I would not hesitate to spend the $5 or so to get the best clamp possible for the job. FI hose clamps should do a better job.

Once you have things under control at the sending unit/pump assembly, if you still have a leak down situation, then go back to clamping off the fuel line to see if you are losing pressure at the injectors.

You may have more than one issue at play here.

ETA: Thank you for posting up your progress on the problem. All too often solutions are proposed but no follow up ever happens, and thus nothing is learned by the rest of us. And I am sure it is often really simple stuff, like that leaking hose, and no one wants to share something that others might think is stupid. I am certainly not laughing at you for a leaking hose that can't be identified without taking things apart and testing them outside their normal environment. Thank you.
I try to keep folks updated, especially when they take the time to help me. Plus i hate when i google a problem and there are countless forums left open ended. Im sure someone else has/will have this issue, and i hope this thread helps.

Do you know the diameter of the hose i need? They have a few options, i might swing by napa on my way home from work today. (I know the type of hose, not size)

This all adds up too, because the old pump and this pump did it, guess what? When i replaced the oreilly pump with the bosch pump i reused the rubber line that came with the oreillys pump. Who knew that 2 minutes saved of time would cause all this heart ache.

Those "fuel injection hose clamps", those are what the bosch pump came with, the oreillys pump had the average kind.

Last night when i found that leak i put the "fuel injection" hose clamp on it, and that helped the immediate pressure drop, but it still slowly dropped from 34 to 0 overnight. But it still slightly slightly SLIGHTLY trickles, but a slight trickle over 10 hours can cause 0psi, atleast i assume. Am i right?

SO hopefully its this stupid rubber hose. The one that came with the bosch is in its brand new zippy bag in my shed still, i bet that would solve this, but i mise well splurge on line at napa just incase.(if i can figure diameter out while being at work)

Thanks again a bunch!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:22
Mostly Harmless

If there is trickle then that is pressure slipping away. Definitely replace that hose if it isn't sealing up with the right clamps.

I don't know the hose diameter, and I would have to pull mine out of the tank to measure it. SWAG is 5/16", but I would want confirmation.

In theory the piece of hose that came with the pump should be the right stuff. I would at least expect Bosch to get it right. It would not surprise me if whichever chicom low bidder supplied O'Reilly's got it wrong. Given all the time you have into this thus far it would make sense to buy the known right stuff just to try to wrap this up for good.
Old November 9th, 2017, 16:22
NAXJA Forum User

New fuel pump, new regulator, still has fuel pressure issue..

My napa was out of line, i am going to swap the rubber line withthe one that came with the bosch, and make sure i have "fuel injector" style hose clamps on top and bottom.

Im doing this tonight, i highly believe its this pesky hose causing these issues,

Lets say its not, if all else fails, im jimmy rigging a check valve in line, just foe the weekend, is this safe? Ive heard it is and isnt... Mine is return style so i think it should be. Any good write ups? Im just asking incase it comes down to worse case. Id need diameter and parts to buy and who sells it retail wise.

Thank you so much guys!!

Old November 9th, 2017, 17:29
NAXJA Forum User

Well i found somewhere with the rubber line... Tried two times (the rubber line), and 4 different fuel injector clamps, no matter what i do itll still weep ever so slightly... Fixing to put an inline check valve and call it a dang day. Im uploading a video as im sure i sound uneducated over discussing a hose clamp and hose, but maybe it IS suppose to weap some? I imqgine not but no clue why it does no matter what. Any type of gas safe sealant I could use?

Old November 9th, 2017, 17:33
NAXJA Forum User

Here is a video, it is "unlisted" so you have to click my link to see it... Maybe im overlooking the obvious?

https://youtu.be/o2t-cCKskJs

Old November 9th, 2017, 17:35
NAXJA Forum User

Skip to the end of this video to see the initial leak, it is a lot better but not 100%

https://youtu.be/D0KpcYT_m7E

Old November 9th, 2017, 17:45
NAXJA Forum User

Should this hole be plugged with something? Circled spot. That's how bosch pump came.

Old November 9th, 2017, 19:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
If there is trickle then that is pressure slipping away. Definitely replace that hose if it isn't sealing up with the right clamps.

I don't know the hose diameter, and I would have to pull mine out of the tank to measure it. SWAG is 5/16", but I would want confirmation.

In theory the piece of hose that came with the pump should be the right stuff. I would at least expect Bosch to get it right. It would not surprise me if whichever chicom low bidder supplied O'Reilly's got it wrong. Given all the time you have into this thus far it would make sense to buy the known right stuff just to try to wrap this up for good.
Sorry to spam, so to go along with my bad luck, the hose had an inner slit, i went and got more hose and the hose doesnt weap anymore.. talk about bad luck! Lmao

So it builds to 30 cranked, kind of bounces between 29-30

Than when off goes to 34, its dropped to like 32 over ten minutes... Lets see what it does overnight. If it reads 0 in the morning, in line valve it is!

Old November 9th, 2017, 19:48
Mostly Harmless

I think you must have collected just about every failure mode possible with that little piece of hose.

Glad you finally seem to have the piece sorted out.

I doubt you will have 0 psi in the morning. If you are in the 20s I would say good enough. At this point I am betting your starting problem will be solved.
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

Is there way to "add friends" on here Anak? Youve been a big help.

Update on fuel issue... I went to the junkyard for an electrical piece today, and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator bracket looked different than mine... I snagged it and just got home, swapped it with mine, and low and behold at idle i went from 30psi to 50psi.... probably still have a bleed off issue knowing my luck this week.

But unless you had the two brackets side by side you would not notice mine was bent... So that was another issue solved.

So far, leaky hose was fixed on pump, and this fuel pressure regulator bracket lol. Oh lord.

My xj had the original owner 1995-2015 (older lady who drive it to Publix and home for 240,000 ish miles) , than a kid who shouldnt touch cars had it 2015-2016, than late 2016 to now ive had it... Its in good shape besides stuff the kid touched lol. The original owner never even used the 4wd, had to rebuild the t-caze but otherwise was a good xj

Old November 10th, 2017, 09:35
NAXJA Forum User

My bracket left, new one on right.

Old November 10th, 2017, 09:50
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellect View Post

Update on fuel issue... I went to the junkyard for an electrical piece today, and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator bracket looked different than mine... I snagged it and just got home, swapped it with mine, and low and behold at idle i went from 30psi to 50psi.... probably still have a bleed off issue knowing my luck this week.
Umm...

30 psi is closer to where a '95 should be. Unless you have the vacuum disconnected, and then it should be 39.

50 psi is more in the range of where my '96 and later models are supposed to be.

Old November 10th, 2017, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Umm...

30 psi is closer to where a '95 should be. Unless you have the vacuum disconnected, and then it should be 39.

50 psi is more in the range of where my '96 and later models are supposed to be.

To add to the mystery, if i undo the vacuum line on the regulator it holds 30 when off...

Old November 10th, 2017, 13:59
Mostly Harmless

I got nuffin...
Old November 10th, 2017, 14:29
NAXJA Forum User

Omg i have developed piston slap... https://youtu.be/3ze5arrv0f4

Im saying f it and hoping for the best this weekend. Curious if this related to the fuel pressure issue.