NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 21st, 2008, 19:16
NAXJA Member #760

Re: Fan bearing - replace?

I have the brackets from a 99 and an 89, and they differ somewhat in how the bearings are pressed in. On the 89, the hole in the back is small, and it's clear the bearing is pressed in from the front, out from the back.

I replaced the bracket on my 99 a year or so ago, and tonight finally got around to pressing it apart. I made the mistake of pressing it out from the back, and discovered that it's pressed in from the back. So I ended up snapping off the little shoulder in the front of the casting that determines where the bearing stops. It's too bad they did it this way, because it means one must press off the pulley flange on the front first, and then press the shaft out from the front, and it doesn't look as easy to support that way.

Anyway, I have a 12 ton arbor press and it didn't take that long to snap the thing free the wrong way. If you can support the housing, I don't think you'll need a very powerful press to get it out the right way. Before you press off the flange, measure its position on the shaft, because there's no indexing for this.

Here's what the part looks like once it's out:[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 22nd, 2008, 13:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
Cool - so is that part number for just the bearings, or a bearing and shaft assembly? Also, how large a press did you need (if it was over a half-ton, I'd be surprised - but I've been surprised before...)
See pic. from matthew curries note.....the part # is for the shaft and intrigal
mounted bearing. There is another caged roller bearing on the shaft that you removed that is not included.and should be replaced at the same time. The best thing is to take the entire shaft assembly with you when you go to the branch store so they can see what you want.
After carefully cleaning inside the old bracket and spraying some light lube
in the shaft tube I was able to press the shaft assembly out. I have a 10 ton
press but it took very little force to push it out. Make sure you push it out the correct way. The replacement shaft may be a little longer than the original but you can cut the shaft to length to match the original.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 13:54
NAXJA Member #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1
See pic. from matthew curries note.....the part # is for the shaft and intrigal
mounted bearing. There is another caged roller bearing on the shaft that you removed that is not included.and should be replaced at the same time. The best thing is to take the entire shaft assembly with you when you go to the branch store so they can see what you want.
After carefully cleaning inside the old bracket and spraying some light lube
in the shaft tube I was able to press the shaft assembly out. I have a 10 ton
press but it took very little force to push it out. Make sure you push it out the correct way. The replacement shaft may be a little longer than the original but you can cut the shaft to length to match the original.
Just to be clear, on the 99 bracket, there was no additional bearing. The pulley end is stamped "R 325...NGK USA."

The long end of the shaft extends to the rear, but nothing is mounted on it. What you see there is all there is. I think this is a standard water pump shaft, with the impeller end unused.
Old July 17th, 2008, 22:28
NAXJA Forum User

yes this is an old post but... same topic. Sort of. I hit a large dip too fast bottomed out hard and the fan managed to wedge under the upper radiator support bracket and and and.. well, it pulled itself out (pressed!) about 1 1/2".
I'm assuming I cannot press it back in so I plan to pull another from pick a part this weekend.
5-90 you can have my old one.
Old July 17th, 2008, 23:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb
yes this is an old post but... same topic. Sort of. I hit a large dip too fast bottomed out hard and the fan managed to wedge under the upper radiator support bracket and and and.. well, it pulled itself out (pressed!) about 1 1/2".
I'm assuming I cannot press it back in so I plan to pull another from pick a part this weekend.
5-90 you can have my old one.
Please?

Also, please be sure to include a note with application information, so I know where in the timeline it fits...

We'll probably be moving soon tho (hopefully buying this time - we're tired of renting) so I'd appreciate it if you could either send it straight away (best price) or hold on to it for a bit (say, end of August should do it.)
Old July 17th, 2008, 23:07
NAXJA Forum User

I can wait.... take your time to get settled.
Ed
Old July 17th, 2008, 23:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I can wait.... take your time to get settled.
Ed
Heh - we ain't even moved yet (Hell, we ain't even found a place yet!) but thanks!

We're just tired of all the rot from renting, and the market is finally coming down from Fantasyland, so maybe we can buy. We'd like to stay here in town (logistical reasons, mainly) but we're open to Gilroy - and we saw a house there last night that we both just loved. Nice big yard (for her) two-car garage w/carport alongside (for me,) big shed round back (for her,) big workroom round back (for me,) ...

Yeah, we'll still have to drag her mother along (damn...) but having our own place without a landlord and having room to hide will make it more tolerable. The only real benefit I've noted from having her around is the extra dependent at taxtime, and she drives me nuts even more than that's worth. And, I'm a short step away from crippling my brother-in-law...
Old July 17th, 2008, 23:22
NAXJA Forum User

lol ok. I'll pm you when it's out.
Old July 17th, 2008, 23:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
lol ok. I'll pm you when it's out.
Aw, Hell - I thought you had it out already!

Cool - no huge hurry, then...
Old April 6th, 2012, 19:56
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Reawakening this again...

Fate has a horrible sense of humor. I pulled one bracket out (without pulling the AC compressor off it... I'm not dumb enough to do that up here in the rust belt, the spindly little bolts always break) and put another in because the original one had horribly bad bearings in the fan pulley mount. Put the new one in, with AC compressor, off a parts vehicle I had.

Fast forward a few weeks to today and it throws the belt. Turns out all four bolts (well, three and a half of them) had broken over the years and a half inch stump of each, packed with rust and aluminum oxide, was all that was holding the compressor in place, so the last bolt finally gave way completely and the compressor leaned forward.

Been trying to get the damned compressor bolts out, have only succeeded in breaking the stubs even shorter.

I did take the compressor off the other bracket though (the one with the bad fan bearing) and the four bolts came out without a single hitch. That has never happened to me. Sure enough, it's a full moon tonight (not kidding.)

So now I have a bracket off a 94 with a good bearing in it, and 4 solidly corroded in place AC compressor bolt stubs.

And another bracket off a 91 with a bad bearing in it, and 4 perfectly clean threaded holes for mounting the AC compressor.

I guess I'll find out if I can get the bearings out of the 94 bracket without destroying them, and the bearings out of the 91 bracket without destroying it. Time to find the gear puller and the mini arbor press...

EDIT: the mini arbor press didn't quite fit the bracket assembly, and I got frustrated. So the solution involved a gear puller to get the flange off, then a BFH to "press" the bearing out, BFH to "press" the bearing back in, and liberal oxy/ace application to make the flange expand enough to drop onto the shaft. Then I sprayed the damn thing with the garden hose till it shrank into place.

It didn't quite shrink true (so there is a fairly small amount of wobble in the pulley and fan now) and I'm sure I greatly reduced the bearing life, but I'll be able to drive it tomorrow. Ordering a new bearing assembly now, hopefully it'll arrive before the one I "pressed" out of the donor bracket and into the recipient bracket (with my BFH) blows up completely.

EDIT2: on my 91 bracket and 94 bracket (and probably later as well) it is a single-unit bearing and shaft, instead of the two bearing units that are apparently in the RENIX brackets, per post 32. Trying to find the later style bearing/shaft assembly now, using the part number Matthew Currie gave.

Last edited by kastein; April 6th, 2012 at 22:17.
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:26
Mostly Harmless

If 5-90 can come back from the dead, then so too can this thread.

How much variation is there in these brackets? Are the H.O. years all pretty much the same? Are there earlier versions that differ from later versions? Perhaps a change that corresponds to the '96 and later power steering/belt routing?

I pulled a spare '96 unit out of a junkyard at it looks like it is fairly easily supported from the back side. It just needs a correctly dimensioned piece of DOM tubing, long enough to get past the back of the bracket so that the DOM is reaching the base of the press rather than the back of the bracket. Is that typical of all (or most) versions of this bracket?
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:13
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
If 5-90 can come back from the dead, then so too can this thread.

How much variation is there in these brackets? Are the H.O. years all pretty much the same? Are there earlier versions that differ from later versions? Perhaps a change that corresponds to the '96 and later power steering/belt routing?

I pulled a spare '96 unit out of a junkyard at it looks like it is fairly easily supported from the back side. It just needs a correctly dimensioned piece of DOM tubing, long enough to get past the back of the bracket so that the DOM is reaching the base of the press rather than the back of the bracket. Is that typical of all (or most) versions of this bracket?

I far as I know the H.O. bracket up until 96 are the same. I haven't really looked at anything newer.
I used part# 17104.83 and a deep socket to press it back in on my 96.
In my opinion was pulling the bracket off and getting the fan hub off was the hardest part.

Here is the basic process I followed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQnw1lqYjs
Old November 12th, 2017, 20:47
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

The 96 up one is missing the boss for the idler pulley used on 95 down vehicles by the AC compressor.

I don't know for sure if the bearings are different. Been too many years since I thought about this.