• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crappy 231's

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
yea well just cuz u have a 23 spline t case doesn't mean they are all the same! went to put in the t case yesterday and the hole was different on the t case so the tranny saft didn't fit in it! GAY!! HECKA GAY!! so anyone have a 231 plantary gears out of a 91 and up auto! i need them

thanx
stoney

If it is really a 23 spline than it has to fit except for the length.There is a "long" and a "short" spline length.

231 input gear....

Yea more info is needed. I have two 231's in peices in the shop that I am trying to combine into one and a crawl box. Both have 23 spline inputs and are the same. How deep is the input on your 231? Just measured both of mine and they are a little under 2".

well we counted the splines on both the tcase and tranny and then we measured the inside diameter of the t case and the diameter of the tranny output shaft and there were different sizes??

stoney

Stoney said:
well we counted the splines on both the tcase and tranny and then we measured the inside diameter of the t case and the diameter of the tranny output shaft and there were different sizes??

stoney

Then you have a 21 spline and a 23 spline mixed.

There aren't 23 spline count with different shaft sizes. Now if we are talking 231s for a xj, tj, zj, dodge and 99% sure chevy. Which covers them all.

Take some pictures of them and post them.

21 spline come in short version
23 spline comes in short, medium (not many jeepers know about), and long versions.

All shaft dia. are the same for each of the above per their spline count.

Don't let your freinds drink and count :D

mark
orgs mfg

Why is it you guys are having so many 231 problems? First Billy-the-kid, and now you? Everyone else on that planet can mix and match 231 parts with no issues.......

I don't get it. A 23 spline male output will fit a 23 spline female input. There are no differences in spline contour or size. Hell, my Dodge NV 4500 23 spline output slid right into a 23 spline 231 input.

Count the splines again.

CRASH

Yea and if its 21 :) Ill trade ya one of my 23 for your 21!

but the thing is it came out of an 88 AW-4?? so i don't know if i get time sometime this week i will get more info!!

stoney

Stoney said:
but the thing is it came out of an 88 AW-4?? so i don't know if i get time sometime this week i will get more info!!

stoney

88 AW4 has a 21 spline output.

mark
orgs mfg

Never drink twice, and measure once.

CRASH

Beezil said:
ditto 88=21 spline

measure twice, cut once.

Beezil,

man thanks for double checking me, I'm getting old and the memory doesn't work much after being in and out of atleast a 100 or so t-cases in my life. :D :angel:

LOL

hinkley

21 Spline AW4 in my 89 as well. It was an 87-90+- thing...Peugots have 21, AX15 have 23, AW4 is variable.

Ok next question. Wasn't there a diference in planaterys at some time or another? And did it affect the input at all? Have you guys priced the input gears? WOW! My input is out of a 92 or 93 231. Will it work in his without any problems?

yes.

there was a change made to the tooth pitch profile. I found this out trying to use an 86 t-case with 95 internals(planetary) I installed the 95 planetary assy. in the pressed-in 86 orbital gear, and the damn thing sounded like a huey....

I have not determined when the change was made, I am guessing that the difference was made between amc-series to j-series, and I also think, although I have no real info to support this, but I think there is actually three tooth varieties to date

So there "should not" be any problems between our two cases and our input gears should be swapable.

I think the change happened in 89. When Billy the Kid tried to use my 87 input in his 92 case, it would hardly turn.

CRASH

Back