• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Day!

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
Since everyone is posting their trans problems, I'll add one. I have a '93 with the AW4 Trans. Last fall I had the trans flushed, so the fluid is lookin good.
Problem: My first trip of each day begins the same. I get out on the main street and begin to accelerate to 55mph and it won't shift from 1st to 2nd unless I back off the gas and get back on it. (No It's not "floored" just normal acceleration.) This just happens once a day. The rest of the time everything is fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I will say this again today I just got my AW4 rebuilt last week and before that mine did the exact same thing. Especially mornings that were cold I would have to let off the gas and then it would shift and then I'd put my foot back on it. The AW4 trannys must all kind of do the same things. Mine started doing that after I had the tranny flushed and new fluid was put in. How many miles you have on your Jeep? mine had about 200k when it started doing it.

It's only got about 240,000 miles on it. Hardly broken in.

Back