• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Declare your Fog Light Independence...

saki669

NAXJA Forum User
This has been bothering me for a while. I liked the factory fog light switch and wanted to use it to activate my bumper mounted off road lights. The problem is that the factory fog light relay turns off when the high beams are activated. I wanted independent activation of the off road lighting, yet still only on if the headlights are on. I know others have done this on pre-96's, or have added additional switches or relays to get the job done but this is much easier. Here we go:

This is on a 2000XJ. Your mileage may vary.

Step 1.
Remove power distribution cover behind battery.
If you need a photo for this STOP and close the hood. Do not proceed further.

Step 2.
Locate FOG LIGHT RELAY #1. There is a printed guide under the cover.
step_2.jpg

Step 3.
Remove FOG LIGHT RELAY #1
step_3.jpg

Step 4.
Create a jumper as shown. Keep it shorter than 2".
step_4.jpg

Step 5.
Jumper pins 9 and 6 on the FOG LIGHT RELAY #1.
step_5.jpg

step_5_1.jpg

Step 6.
Replace cover!

step_6.jpg

Thats it. You now have independent fog light / off road light control using the factory fog light switch. You even have a spare relay now!

-Kirk

MODS:
Feel free to copy this for archive. The picture hosting wont last forever.

Last edited:
Very cool, and thanks! I was planning to attach my front bumper this weekend, and I will be doing this mod as well now. :)

I bought some walmart baja blazer lights and installed them to the fog wiring. I recently replaced the lights with hella xenon and it wasn't much difference in lighting. I changed over to a stand alone relay and it's a lot brighter. 100 watt xenons are on the way to use in the blazer lights.

I might use that switch for backups now.

I wish I had known this a long time ago

Can you use it with highs?

Can you use it with highs?

I think that was the main point of his write up. :)

Last edited:
Not to mention it's a minute job to switch back come inspection time. Yea, they actually do verify that stuff up here if it does not look stock factory. I got a gig on my TJ yesterday, satisfied the 'inspector' by putting the covers on. silly crap.

very nice, I stopped using high beams when I installed my driving lights due to the high beam cutting off the aux. lights.
Thanks for the tip.

Another tip that works on Canadian models, or at least mine... disconnect the DRL (day time running light) module and your fogs will work with your high beams. Don't ask me why, it just does LOL!

Someone asked about fuse protection.....

The fog light circuit is fused.Removing the relay changes nothing in terms of circuit protection. I used the fog light relay circuit to drive another secondary relay for my off road lights. I don't know how much power you could pull from that circuit to drive lights directly from the existing fog light 12V+. I'd always add a new relay for additional lights just to be safe.
:explosion

-Kirk

bandit455 said:
could you just put an inline fuse on that short wire?

You could probably just use the inline fuse alone due to most of them having a couple inches of lead on both sides of the fuse anyways.

bandit455 said:
could you just put an inline fuse on that short wire?

You really don't need one. You are basically mimicking the contacts of a relay which are rated at about 25A. The entire circuit is fused from the factory. You would put a secondary fuse on your additional lighting as you see fit. Don't use the factory relay modules to drive your after market accessories directly.

ABC

Last edited:
Glad someone posted this as I'm about to put on a front grille guard and it's got 2 off-road lights on it that I'd like to be able to operate with an existing switch if possible. My only question is, can you do it so that they are on independent of each other? For isntance, if I wanted just my fogs on and not the off-road lights, or vice versa?

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Glad someone posted this as I'm about to put on a front grille guard and it's got 2 off-road lights on it that I'd like to be able to operate with an existing switch if possible. My only question is, can you do it so that they are on independent of each other? For isntance, if I wanted just my fogs on and not the off-road lights, or vice versa?

You would need another switch and relay for the off road lights.

is there a way to do this and wire the fog lights to the battery to get more power to them like what is done with the headlight harness so the factory switch is still used?

Sure.. Just use the factory fog light relay to drive another relay. The second relay will switch directly from the battery to the lights. Don't forget a big fuse between the lights and the battery.

J-Roc said:
Another tip that works on Canadian models, or at least mine... disconnect the DRL (day time running light) module and your fogs will work with your high beams. Don't ask me why, it just does LOL!

so sorry to hi-jack this thead , can someone tell me were the DRL module is on a canadian model, i dont have a manual for my xj, i have hooked up the driving light switch to my plow light , like to get DRL to go off when the plow is on, ya i know im nuts with a plow on, but it was free, all will be removed, first site of sping

Back