• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 gear pattern check please

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited:
jeepring_zps90114c92.jpg
jeepring_zps90114c92.jpg.html
jeepring_zps90114c92.jpg.html

Last edited:
I wanna say it looks good, but your pattern isn't defined enough to make a call. Don't be to shy with the marking paste and make sure when running your pattern to have a "load" or resistance on your driven gear........ I either wedged a rag between the ring and the case and turn the pinion OR wrap a rag around the pinion yoke and turn the carrier with a wrench on a ring gear bolt. It will ensure that the gears mesh tight and make a nice clean pattern like this. HP30 in my wife's JK, did this earlier today

ypa3u9y8.jpg
edadusan.jpg

that's what I'm thinking the only thing that is making me question is the drive side is a little on the heel, and the coast is on the toe. I can't seem to get a defined ppattern on the coast side. I'll try some more compound and see if that helps.

Well I had some time to work on the jeep today, not a lot of time between school and work. I played around with it a little bit, and ended up with this for the night.
Drive side:
jeepring3_zps62fd48b2.jpg

Coast:
jeepring4_zps622afb09.jpg

Ran out of time for the night to fine tune it, but it seems to be a little shallow now, correct? Plus my backlash is a little tight at .004. What is a good backlash to shoot for? I would assume the tighter the better? (I Know it should be .006-.010.)

that's what I'm thinking the only thing that is making me question is the drive side is a little on the heel, and the coast is on the toe. I can't seem to get a defined ppattern on the coast side. I'll try some more compound and see if that helps.

Don't get hung up on heel/toe pattern...pinion depth is all about face/flank :rtm:

How much did you remove? .002 should have been about perfect. I would add about 2-3 thousandths back now. Are you making sure the backlash is in spec when running the pattern?

I ended up tightening the pinion preload a little more, and that made my pinion pull out a little more. (I guess) I probably would have been right on had I not taken .003 out and tightened the preload. Looks like ill add about .003 more to the pinion, and get the backlash back in check. Thanks for the help ill post some pics when I get it

Don't get hung up on heel/toe pattern...pinion depth is all about face/flank :rtm:

This

I ended up tightening the pinion preload a little more, and that made my pinion pull out a little more. (I guess) I probably would have been right on had I not taken .003 out and tightened the preload. Looks like ill add about .003 more to the pinion, and get the backlash back in check. Thanks for the help ill post some pics when I get it

Oh boy????

Ok I got everything within spec, how's it look? Backlash is .006, coast side still seems to be on the toe side but the drive side looks good I think. What do you guys think?
image_zpsa23b2373.jpg

image_zps48ee9c5f.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you need to get a bit deeper on your pinion. Add .002" and back off your back lash, try .008 and run the pattern, should bring the cost side off the toe

Ok I'll try that, I'm just applying pressure with my hand on the ring gear as I'm turning the pinion. Also the gears are used I'm wondering if they are worn funny making it so I don't get a clear pattern on the coast side.

Ok I didn't change the pinion depth, just opened the backlash to .009. I think the drive pattern looks pretty good, I don't know what's going on with the coast? Is it just the used gears or what? What do you think would you run that pattern?
image_zpsd53c0de7.jpg

image_zpsbab80216.jpg

Back