• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring up JCR LED lights

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
SO I just picked up a set of JCR steel tail lights, with LED's. ANd I cant find anywhere online how to wire them up, like color coating them or what ever. Can anyone help me out with these??

What, you don't have a copy of the FSM for your XJ? It's loaded with wiring diagrams.... BTW, I don't see what year that you're trying to install these on.

Something that will probably bite you is that I'm reasonably sure you're going to want to change your flasher module in your fuse panel. At least on my '94, that was a simple bimetallic strip type of flasher that couldn't deal with either trailer lights, or the LED taillights (I won a set of FarmerMatt's steel boxes in 2004.) You want an electronic style that doesn't care about the load to trigger the flash.

probe your stock rear harness behind the taillights, and have someone operate the brakes ect. The LED's should be somewhat labelled.. no?

Unplug your factory tail lights, hook you test lite to a ground. Have someone operate the tail lights, find your wire; op the brakes, find your wire; op the turn signals, find your wire. The long oval lights have a 3 wire plug, red black and white wires. Black is the ground wire, white is tail lights and red is brake. Take the black wires for all three lights and butt connect it to the one wire in your harness that you did not get ANY power from, this will supply your ground to all the lights in each bucket. Take the white wire for the oval light and the side marker light, butt connect them together and connect them to the wire you found in the first step that had power when your marker lights were on. This will hook up the tail/marker lights for each bucket. Now connect the red wire from the oval lights to the wire you found power to when the brake pedal was pushed in. This will hook up the brake lites in each bucket. Lastly, connect the white wire from turn signals in the buckets to the wire you found power to when your turn signals were on. This will hook up the turn signals. Hope this helps, PM me if your lost.

Back