• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my xj a good platform to build off of for jeep speed or VORRA.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
Are any of the parts i have okay for jeep speed or vorra races? im just thinking about it, and was debating on selling the jeep for a ranger to build for VORRA.

90 four door. 4.0/aw4/242 with under 5k on the engine. d30/44, re5.5 coils, bilstein 7100 12sb shocks in front, rcx drop brackets, 1ton steering, RE track bar, custom lowers and uppers with rubber bushings. RE 3.5 leaf packs with rcx 2in adjustable shackle. rolling on 35x12.5 old style mtrs with steel rims an 90% tread.

my plans: hdoffroad engineering full stiffener kit and shackle relocators. interior cage with shocks ran thru the body, bilstein 7100s in the rear, 4:88s in the d44 spooled with chromo shafts and beam axle up front. but leaving the tcase installed. new poly bushings at axle end and rubber at frame side of control arms. with fully welded unibody seams.

'Sounds like a nice rig. What are your racing plans? Occasional casual, or full on full schedule every year?

Any Cherokee in good condition is a good base for a Jeepspeed car. I'm not familiar with the Vorra rules,but normally the Rangers run in a different class(they're usually faster then the Jeepspeeds, and cost a lot more)

As far as what you have, In jeepspeed:
33" max tire size, - so you can't use the 35"s
7100s are great shocks, but small by jeepspeed standards (rule limits are 2.5" bypass, or 3" smooth body)
The suspension components sound OK, except the control arms. Here's the rule:
4.1.3.3 Any manufacturer suspension mass produced lift kit from our approved list of vendors may be used provided
it have a part number and is readily available to the general public. Kit components must be installed per manufac-
turer’s instructions. Subframes or relocation brackets are permitted and may be welded in place after installation per
manufacturer’s instructions. Suspension brackets and components may be stre ngthened by adding material.Bushing,
Johnny Joints, Heims may be replaced or upgraded. Components from differing suppliers can be used on one vehicle,....
'not sure how tough they enforce it.

As for what you're planning, any further modifications you are thinking of, you should put on hold until you decide what to do. Become very familiar with the rule book you'll be racing under. When you're racing, it's "what is allowed", not "what I want to do"

Whatever you decide, your minimum is going to be a score legal roll cage(Jeepspeed uses Score standards,and all the other governing bodies use something similar or exactly the same), racing seats, 5pt harnesses, and a fuel cell. Any series you run will require these. Like I said, read the rules first.

Here's a link to the Jeepspeed rules: (It's a PDF download) http://www.jeepspeed.com/rules/rules.shtml
at the bottom of the page. 1700 is the "classic" Cherokee Jeepspeed Challenge class.

Edit: Oops! forgot.
Here's a stick about Jeepspeed:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006269

Last edited:
i was thinking 7100s for vorra. i didn't think about the tires. that's not too hard to fix. i have been reading the rules, forgot about the arms. Ive had a copy opened up on a different tab for a few days slowly reading through. i would be an occasional racer for now. my buddy races vorra and has been getting me interested. he is trying to convince me to race. just wanted a general opinion on some of the parts i have already. i know i need many more parts.

Back