• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running rough

98xjclassicblue

NAXJA Forum User
well today i went and drove the jeep today and noticed that it was running like total crap, then while i was driving down the road my check engine light came on then started flashing and my rpms started jumping from 2200 to 2300. I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem might be im thinking it might be trash in the gas but it seems to be running to rough for that to be the cause, just let me know if yall have had similar experiances and what the problem could be thanks :NAXJA:

First thing to do whenever a check engine light comes on...pull the codes. It will give you an idea of what the problem is and what to work on...rather than playing guess and check and throwing a lot of parts at it.

Ok...lets start with the simple stuff. When was the last full tune up done? Plugs, wire, cap and rotor.

get the bosch copper plus not platinum plugs..

Mark

get the bosch copper plus not platinum plugs..

Mark

Anything copper should do the trick. I've always stuck with the Champions as that's what came from the factory...never had an issue. I forget what number (Something like 438 sticks out in my head...) they are but they're about $2.99 a pop. Cheap and they work great...can't ask for much more of a win-win.

well i just replaced all the plugs and wires and it is still running rough so tommorow im just going to bring it to the shop and have them see if it could be a vaccum leak or something like an injector clogged

Go with orange tops! When things go bad upgrade. That"s what I do. I believe ford orange top is what they are not 100% but search around. They are easy to replace yourself too just some retaining clips to get around and they come right out.

Back