• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help wiring 4 55w lights

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought 4 55w driving light for use on my roof rack.

I have a 30 amp relay, and 15 amp switch. I've made multiple diagrams on how to wire them, but I need to know...

What is the smallest gauge wire i can use to run from the engine bay, up to the roof? Th plan is to run a thicker wire to the roof, then split it off to each pair of lights.
I've been told 10 gauge but that complicates everything, because the thickness makes it harder to run up to the roof.

Thanks.

Sean

Great info, http://www.rallylights.com/hella/SensibleWiring.aspx

I used 12g from relays to roof up through rear piller and out through large grommet for rear defroster wiring, then tied it into a trailer plug so I can remove rack and lights if needed.

IM

I'd probably stick to 10g. It really depends on how long the wire is which is going to be determined by your choice of routing. If space is your only concern, don't worry about it. There is a TON of room in the driver side A-pillar in your XJ. I think I ran 4 12g and 1 10g all under my A-pillar trim piece. Remember you need to factor a gound wire into the equation as well unless you're planning on somehow grounding your lights to the roof.

Oh ok, cool, where did you put it through the a pillar up on to the roof?

I plan on running a combined black/red paired cable.

Haven't drilled the hole yet, but my wiring runs up the driver side a-pillar, across the windshield (tucked into the headliner), and then through my overhead console. I'll be drilling in the center of the roof just ahead of the courtesy lights and using a waterproof connector so I can take off my rack/lights if I need to. I just need to decide which lights (and how many) I'm going to use so I know how many pins my connector needs to have.

This is getting a little techy for the chapter forum... Maybe I'll have it done by the next time we're on a run together and I can show you. PM me if you have any other questions.

Back