• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main/other Seal Replacement.

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
I Have A 89 4.0l Limited With Auto. I Have A Wicked Oil Leak Coming From What Seems To Be The Flywheel Area. It Has Been Doing It Forever! I Replaced The Head Gasket And Valve Cover Gasket When I Put On My Header And That Stoped The Oil Leak From The Head,although I Still Leak Around The Back Of The Engine,it Drips On The Front Pipe Of The Header When Its Not Running And It Kinda Smells Like A$$. So What Do I Need To Know About Changing The Rear Main And Oil Pan Gasket.it It A Pain, Any Ways To Make It Easier? What Do I Need To Remove B4 Hand?

OK - first thing you want to do is give your poor SHIFT keys a rest - it's not really necessary to capitalise every single word (and it's a lot easier to read your posts if you don't. Remember, much of how you are percieved online is generated from how you write. Readability is important - and capping every word is only slightly less annoying than typing in ALL CAPS.)

Second - I know I've covered this several times in the last few months, and I'm sure there are others here who have as well. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I know my writeups are based upon working on RENIX (1987-90) XJ's and will therefore help you out - although there may be others as well, and the job probably hasn't changed that much over the years anyhow. So, check out what you find from a search with keywords like "rear main seal," "rear main replacement," "replace rear main seal," and variations on the theme. You should have no trouble finding information.

5-90

I make sure to search before I ask......... There is a plethura of info in the archives........... what is a plethura you ask.? LOL

Back