• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FMX to AW4/???? swap

DaemonForce

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I need a future-proof update to my aging 71 American featuring an early 304 V8 and Cruiseo/FMX prototype. I just built this auto for the strip. I will be swapping in a modern version of this engine next year and it will see more highway duty than track. It's immediately complicated from here. There's some crank/bell conformity thing that happened halfway through 1971 to deprecate all earlier transmissions and move on to modern ones like Hydramatic and Torqueflite. These are not suitable for (ab)use. My crank tail is flat and I assume the new crank will resemble the typical Jeep 4.0/258 casting that commonly mated with 904/727 torqueflites. The new transmission should be similar geared if not wider to my FMX, definitely needs overdrive and needs to survive severe beatings all season. I don't see any options without $$$$ adapters and build orders for sketchy GM hardware that will most likely give serious problems unless I tell them what to modify.

The new crank resemblance has me looking at Aisin Warner stuff. I know every 4.0L optioned Jeep in the nearby yards are outfitted with the AW4, which looks great but I'm unfamiliar with non-hydraulic shift controls and this needs to shift hard without overlap. All I find is information related to 4WD tailshaft swaps and endless questions over the TT Supra transmission, which seems identical to me. What is the name of the target transmission for picking and what parts will make this swap work? Assuming I pick a clone of it from a non-Jeep and get the AMC bell on it, will I be looking at swapping out pumps/converters/plates too or am I overthinking all of this? How do I eliminate the TCM dependencies?

Thanks.

Back